Why become a member? ×

61mm heel basses

alyctes

hi

I have a Hohner bass in need of a new neck (broken trussrod). It's bolt-on, four-string. Heel measurement is 61 mm.
I like skinny necks, so I'm not overly concerned with an "authentic" rebuild - I want something which will play.

Can anyone suggest other designs which have/had necks of this size?

Hmm. I like the Peavey neck on its old body... so, perhaps I should be working out a way to remove 0.5mm from each side of its heel. Obviously it needs to be reasonably symmetrical.
I can't afford proper luthiery.
So, I'd be grateful for suggestions :)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1382746324' post='2256291']
Hmm. I like the Peavey neck on its old body... so, perhaps I should be working out a way to remove 0.5mm from each side of its heel. Obviously it needs to be reasonably symmetrical.
I can't afford proper luthiery.
So, I'd be grateful for suggestions :)
[/quote]
Might be neater and easier to open up the pocket by a millimeter then reduce the neck.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1382960008' post='2258370']
Might be neater and easier to open up the pocket by a millimeter then reduce the neck.
[/quote]

I'm surprised. Is it really easier to open up the pocket than to get at the sides of the neck? How does that work, please?

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1383253115' post='2262306']
I'm surprised. Is it really easier to open up the pocket than to get at the sides of the neck? How does that work, please?
[/quote]
Yes much easier. The width of the neck at the heel tapers to the width at the nut in a single line, if you shave a bit off you'll have a step. plus you won't be able to put it back on.

Opening up the neck pocket is really simple. So you need 1mm more width for the neck? take 1/2mm off each side - you can probably do this with sandpaper easily enough for such a small amount.

I would check that the neck is the right length before you do this though. has it got the same number of frets as the neck that is supposed to be in there? If not, you'll find your bridge is in the wrong position (whether you shave the neck or the pocket!). So be ware!