Why become a member? ×

Small USB Mixer for listening to music and recording

Jack

Hey guys, first of all I couldn't decided if this belonged here or in 'Misc Gear' so sorry if it's wrong and please do move it if necessary, mods.

I currently have a small Soundcraft Compact 4 that I use with my pc. I use it for playing along to music and youtube videos, with both the pc and my bass pedalboard plugged in and with headphones. What I would like to do is swap it for a usb mixer that uses a digital connection to do the back and forwards between the pc and mixer. This is because the onboard sound on my pc isn't brilliant and I'd like to use the mixer essentially as a DAC. Generally, even if I'm not playing bass I'm using the mixer to listen to music so I'd love a decent sound.

Would the mixer give decent sound quality? Which mixers are y'all using? I'm looking at the Peavey PV 6 USB at the moment, can anyone offer an improvement for a similar price?

Thanks,
Jack

I have the Soundcraft Compact 4 and I think it's a brilliant little thing. If I were you I would keep it and spend your money on a simple interface. I use the Edirol UA-4FX, which probably isn't available any more, but as Simon says, there's plenty out there. You wouldn't get much for the Compact 4 second-hand anyway, I suspect, so I think it would be more cost effective to spend all your available dosh on the interface. Just my 2p.

Personally, I use the mixer for playing through when not recording, and for listening to music too. The interface sits out of sight under a shelf, permanently connected to the record out / playback in buses of the mixer. The interface also provides MIDI in and out, which you won't find on many (any??) USB mixers. I use the mic pre's of the Compact 4, and do all my plugging in and out, level setting, and swapping around there, which I find very convenient.

Edited by Earbrass