Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Standard faded

Ejb

Hi Folks.

Haven't been on for a while,I am considering buying a Gibson SG Standard Faded, I started of many years ago with an Avon SG Bass, and loved it, except the E string wouldn't tune in, only a novice at the time probably just the set up?

Anyway I have Fender Basses and have owned many more including Rickenbacker 4003 but have never found the one!

Can anyone give me their advice or experience with the Gibson?

Cheers

John

I've not owned one but have played one a couple of times. If you are ok with the shorter scale, they are very easy players - quick to move around the neck too, I found. Not particularly versatile sound-wise, but then neither are some other classics out there. Neck dive could be a problem if you don't use a wide/thick strap to help prevent this.

I did have the Epiphone EB0 for a while, and my comments above apply too. Although at £150 I wasn't complaining.

Try one if you can, it's the only way to find out for yourself really.

Cheers

Geoff

I have a faded cherry SG bass which I've being playing for a couple of years now. Coming from guitar I really dig its scale and as mentioned it's really 'easy' to play. I've fitted mine with TI Flats which I think work really well on it, mainly as I'm a pick player. I use a strap with a suede backing which helps the neck dive no end, otherwise it can be annoying. I would definitely recommend them, but my experience is limited.

I'm in north Suffolk so if you ever venture this way you are welcome to have a try.