Why become a member? ×

Advice on buying a bow

Beedster

I used to play violin and cello what seems like a million years ago and I never really paid a whole lot of attention to bows. I understand that things need to be a little different with DBs? So, I want to start bowing my new Martin Concerto, what do you folks recommend?
C

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1381696453' post='2242589']
Well the two bits of advice I would give are;

Determine which bow you prefer German or French. (try both)
[i]Find a classical teacher even if its for [size=4]a one off lesson. [/size][/i]
[/quote]

And buy the style of bow that your teacher uses.

Steve

I would consider a French bow or alternatively a French Bow :D

With your gorgeous Martin Concerto's violin corners a German bow will be hard work and will snag on the sharp pointy bits (as a rule most German players use Gamba shaped basses ...funnily enough thats why you will usually find any bass "Made in Germany" is Gamba shaped !).

Although you can get fairly a "cheap as chips" bow, the weight of cheaper student bows can be a real pain ( literally! ) and the balance point is often pretty naff with little spring and the hair is poor quality ( its cheap for a reason !). Best avoided is budget will allow. Aim for a bow around 135g or less and perhaps look for a good carbon fibre - it will take you through the early stages but also will be a bow that will serve you for years to come. Theres a thread already started on here about the merits of these.

Edited by ubassman

I'd go french. I started on German but the majority of teachers teach French. The difference is kind of elementary but you need to know how to control your bow effectively and if your teacher can't explain how to do it on the bow you have then you may have a problem.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1381945797' post='2245917']
I'd just go ahead and order a finale french ow from the states. Nothing but good reviews.
[/quote]

Thanks FG, any thoughts on how they compare with the Col Legno available in thh UK http://www.cantabilemusic.co.uk/cubecart/Col+Legno+carbon+fibre+double+bass+bow+French.html as I guess the price would work out much the same after courier, imports duty etc?

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...