Why become a member? ×

Pinker and Prouder than Previous

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382134487' post='2248653']
Here's the same player playing a Vintage (brand) p-bass. Exactly the same buzzing sound.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9MmVveFhU[/media]

I wasn't meaning to criticise cheaper instruments. I would like to be one of those people who can take a cheaper instrument that has sufficiently good quality ingredients and refine it into something quite decent. But, it's to be expected that the cheaper instruments will have variable setup quality, as something has to give to get the price down.

I've always thought that a reasonable buying strategy might be to buy cheap basses being sold by technically skilled bassists (perhaps their backup bass or something - or perhaps they jumped on the Sue Ryder bandwagon). As any foibles such as poorly cut nuts are likely to have been solved some time ago.
[/quote]

A decent set up will not cost you much, if you cannot do it yourself.
I tolerated a terribly setup guitar for years, blaming its cheapness for the poor intonation, buzz etc... But someone finally told me "did you know all that stuff can be adjusted?" and I saw the light. :)

I think the reason cheaper instruments often have poor set ups is that sellers don't really make a lot of profit on them, so they don't bother going around each instrument making sure it plays decently. Although I have seen more expensive ones being terrible too. I once tried a Stingray that was just awful. My only explanation is that someone in the shop liked it but did not have the cash ready, so he ensured nobody else would like it... until he could buy it :lol:

Your buying strategy has indeed worked for me many times.
My last remaining OLP was advertised at £120. I tried it and the action was high, but it looked in good condition. I was ready to pay that, then the seller, without my saying a thing said "look, the action is very high on in, it makes it harder to play, and you probably want new strings too, let's call it £100". I said "sure!".
:)
Pretty sweet bass.
Same with the Westfield Jazz (£40, and 30min of work)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...