Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup Not Working

AnalogBomb

Hi Folks,

I seem to have a small problem on my hands. The bridge pickup on my Squier VM Jazz seems to have given up the ghost. One minute it was working fine then I plugged it back in and there is just no output.

I'v removed the pup from the body and also removed the control panel and can't seem to see any loose wiring - in fact, it's in all intact, as if it were new.

I've had the bass for about 6 years and so I wondered if maybe it's just got to the end of its life and I need to replace it? It's currently fitted with Duncan Designed pups.

Has this happened to anybody else or have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

i very much doubt its the pickup. i would say with a lot of confidence, its a Potentiometer problem. my Jazz bridge pup stopped working and it was the cheap pot that gave up. pickups untouched last for years and years, pots dont. 30 pounds max will get you a top of the line CTS pot, fitted by a shop.

Well, the Seymour Duncan pickup at the bridge position on my Jazz 24 stopped working. On investigation, the winding wire had broken at the solder joint with the wire which leads off to the pot. I had to judiciously unwind one turn and re solder the joint - it's been fine ever since.

Note, this is not for the feint hearted but I figured that at worst it would still not be working and at best it would be fixed!

So pickups can fail.

Cheers

Ed

Thanks for the info guys - as always, really helpful. I've decided to book it in with a local guy who has got some excellent testimonials. I think I might bite the bullet on some new pups as well as new pots - might even stretch to a setup!