Why become a member? ×

Pot values for volume /bass/treble of pre EB 'ray

Greggo

Can anyone with a pre EB ray tell me what the pot values are for all the controls. I've got a clone preamp of a 2 band but want to replace pots as they are a bit poor (very on/off in nature).

I'm not sure if the pot values on this are necessarily the same as the original. Are they all mixture of log and linear too?

Thanks

If anyone was doing a clone of that preamp, then they would definitely use the same value pots for it, as anything else wouldnt make it a clone. One was you can check the values is by taking them off and getting a multimeter on them. Get the resistance straight away. But according the the widely available stringray preamp diagram the values are as follow:

Vol: 25k log
Bass: 100k Log
treble: 1meg reverse log.

May i ask where the clone preamp came from?

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1380967829' post='2232857']
If anyone was doing a clone of that preamp, then they would definitely use the same value pots for it, as anything else wouldnt make it a clone. One was you can check the values is by taking them off and getting a multimeter on them. Get the resistance straight away. But according the the widely available stringray preamp diagram the values are as follow:

Vol: 25k log
Bass: 100k Log
treble: 1meg reverse log.

May i ask where the clone preamp came from?
[/quote]

From probass.co.uk.

Thanks for info, I think the issue is with the pots themselves,think the volume and treble are a bit duff. With the exception of the bass control which works fine (can detect the changes through the whole turn of the pot) the Volume only seems to have one setting ( which 1 is same volume as 10)and the treble has about three sounds as the pot sweeps.

Will order a new vol and treble with those values and see what happens I think.

Preamp itself sounds great though nonetheless. I've just done a mod to the pickup as well - swapped out the ceramic bar magnets in the Wilkinson pickup for alnico bar magnets and it sounds even better.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1380969515' post='2232892']
From probass.co.uk.

Will order a new vol and treble with those values and see what happens I think.
[/quote]

Those are the same pot values he's put in the diagram for them so presumably that's what you have already.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380974001' post='2232969']

Those are the same pot values he's put in the diagram for them so presumably that's what you have already.
[/quote]

Yeah I never originally looked at diagram (had no intention of trying to make one myself) but I see that now

Does the 2 eq ray have a big sweep in treble when turning? I understand treble is cut/boost but I don't know if I'm expecting something that was never there or not. In position 10 its got the sizzle but from position 9 (approx) to about 3 there is a reduction but not gradual (same sound) and then the first few "positions" is like the cut and sound the same (so effectively 3 tones over the range of the pots motion)

The pots are probably just cheapies (not even alpha) so that's why I'm thinking may be worth replacing. Bass control is fine though.

Edited by Greggo