Why become a member? ×

2013 Gibson Thunderbird NR

NancyJohnson

I feel compelled to post this up (again).

I bought this bass earlier in the year...if you know me, you'll know my love of Gibson Thunderbirds and this was a natural addition to the flock. Despite it being a new purchase, I fully intended a handful of mods; I'm no fan of the Gibson three-point bridge, so replaced that with a Hipshot Supertone and added Dunlop Straploks.

There's posts elsewhere about the lack of dynamism of the tone, so the Gibson pots got replaced and are now lined up in a tidy row rather than the triangular shipping configuration.

The only thing I really didn't like was the gleaming white scratchplate - by the time the original white guard will have faded to something off white, I fear I may already be in the ground - so today a lovely creamy pickguard arrived courtesy of Howard the Bass Doc. Even my wife said it looks good, and that's saying something.

Anyhow, here it is. Ta-daaar!
P

Honestly, it's a completely different bass and a Thunderbird in name only!

It's a bit heavier and the neck is chunkier than any of my reverse Thunderbirds and whilst it shares the same pickups as the reverse models, tonally it's somewhat different, in all probability because of the extra wood in the body. I've found it's easy enough to get a similar tone out of both models by tweaking things amp-side.

I really didn't get on with it initially - the reasons are documented elsewhere - but now things are sorted, I'm pretty happy. I've used it for about three songs live so far. Next Tuesday will be the proof of the pudding.
P