Why become a member? ×

huckleberry v.2

Dread Bass

Ok so you all know how much I love the original Huckleberry from Tone Factor. Basically I figured since the Huck was the best fuzz I've ever had I really owe it to myself to try the V2 as it was confirmed it could do all the sounds the V1 could plus it had that additional "Juice" control so I didn't really have anything to lose and I hoped I would gain the ability for the Huck to work with active basses without an impedance buffer.

Well it does, it works with active basses currently I've only tried it with my Valenti Jazz 4 string but thats the worse bass for fuzz's anyway it uses a fishman voltage double to get the circuit up to 18v inside the bass and you can get weird noise issues and it doesn't react like a lot of other active basses. Now I will say it sounds better with an impedance buffer there but I can easily use the Huck v2 on it's own by just adjusting the juice knob. Now if you take into consideration the Juice knob dimed will get you those original Huck sounds I've got it set at about 9 o clock to get it to work with this bass which meant I had to crank the volume and gain up a bit more to get the tones I wanted, but the important thing is the tones I wanted are there plus many more, I can get more gated fuzz tones which the huck v1 did when you didn't want with an active so now you can dial them in and out.

So when it went on my board I ended up putting it back in the loop of my impedance buffer for a few reasons.

1. I've used the Huck in a blender for so long I can't not play withput having the 2 sounds at my toe tips
2. It sounds more consistent with all my basses as I use a selection of active and passive basses none with the same preamps or pickups.
3. I would have had the barge sitting around if I hadn't and it adds another dimension to my sound.

So this is just the initial review folks, I'll do a more in depth one as I play with it more but basically if you were thinking of getting the Huckleberry v1 somewhere get the v2 as it gives you everything and more.

Soundclips coming soon.

Enjoy