Why become a member? ×

EHX bass big muff pi

tom skool

This pedal enables me to do just what I want it to, which is to leave my clean/dry signal alone but then add a bit of fuzz when I want it (usually when the guitarist is soloing). great!... well almost. I've noticed that turning the pedal on takes the top end freqs off the clean signal which I then have to compensate for by making the fuzz more trebly (and waspy in a tinny!) I find this a tad annoying. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't suppose theres any way round it other than getting a different pedal.

Thanks. Yeah splitting the signal would work. Is there a simple way of doing this that avoids lots of boxes and cables? Otherwise I may look at the mxr bass fuzz delux as it has separate clean and fuzz levels( I find the usual blend tricky to volume match) Are there any other pedals that have this?

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1380397927' post='2224829']
Otherwise I may look at the mxr bass fuzz delux as it has separate clean and fuzz levels( I find the usual blend tricky to volume match) Are there any other pedals that have this?
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head. I use a Marshall Shredmaster for fuzz, but I'll be exchanging it with the MXR as I haven't found anything better, in functionality and sound (subjective, I know). That's not just because of the individual dry and effect signal controls, they are just superlativley thought out pedals. I never intended to have a clean-sweep of MXR pedals, but I haven't found a better compressor or envelope filter that theirs either.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1380399933' post='2224875']
I never intended to have a clean-sweep of MXR pedals, but I haven't found a better compressor or envelope filter that theirs either.
[/quote]

It's weird but I find completely the opposite. I have tried a number of MXR pedals (including all the current bass-orientated ones) and have not liked any of them. There's something that I am looking for in tone that MXR simply are not into.
I am not dissing MXR here just commenting on how they are on a different wavelength to me.