Why become a member? ×

NBD!!

Mornats

[size=3]Argh, I'd written a huge comprehensive review of my new bass then hit the back button by mistake and lost it. Grrr!!![/size]

Anyway, whoohoo, new bass day! I tried a Yamaha TRBX 504 in my local PMT a few weeks ago and loved it. I'd been looking for a lightweight bass to replace my Overwaters as my main gigging basses as they are huge and heavy. 10lbs+ heavy.

So I've ended up buying Hamfist's Yammy (see his comments on it here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214045-nbd-yamaha-trbx504/"]http://basschat.co.u...yamaha-trbx504/[/url]).

So what do I think? Well, when I played one in PMT it was set up perfectly. I even asked if they'd spent some time setting it up and they said no, it's straight out of the box. This one is set up perfectly too. It plays amazingly well, is very lightweight and comfortable to play. The neck is amazingly slim. It makes my Classic J feel clunky.

The sounds are great. I love the passive tone, although I do miss some of the single coil sound that my Classic J gives. It has a lovely growl in the lower mids that reminds a bit of my Rockbass Corvette. Not quite as woody as a Warwick growl but a nice lower mid growl anyway.

I agree with whwat Hamfist said about the bridge pickup. It's tight and punchy and not too burpy. If I want a burpy bridge J sound I've got my Contemporary J which burps more than a baby drinking Coke. To me this makes the bridge pickup a much more usable option as it fits in with the other tones so well. I've always found that my other basses change character too much when fully rolled onto their bridge pups. This one stays in character yet still gives you a bridge pickup sound that works. I love it.

So roll it into active mode, and this is what I love. I can set it so that my treble is all the way up, the mids are all the way down and the bass is almost all the way up. In passive mode, this gives me my nice punchy "just leave it be it's good enough" passive tone and in active, the bass and mid controls kick in and I get a lovely scooped mid sound. Perfect! Plus the output volumes are very similar so I can swap between songs.

Speaking of the mids, the mid control is lower than the 500-800hz range that Hamfist would prefer but I actually love having control of the lower mids. This is where "my" sound comes in. I love a lower mids aggressive growl.

Colour wise, it looks somewhere in between the trans black and trans brown basses on the Yamaha website. I love it.

So here's one happy bunny with a new bass!

Oh hang on: :useless:

There are a couple of pics in Hamfist's thread above but here's one I did earlier:

[attachment=144670:yummy-yammy.jpg]

Edited by Mornats