Why become a member? ×

Ashdown 414 or 610 cab (ABM or CL)??

gillento

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi,[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am looking to replace my Aguilar db212 cab.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]this has been my alltime fav cab but I am looking for something with a bit more definition in the hi mids.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Amps of choice are the Ashdown ABM500, Aguilar db212 and a Sadowsky SA200.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am playing 3-4 outdoor shows a year and maybe 15 indoor gigs, all with PA support.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am playing mainly a Nordy PJ 5 string with a pick and a hint of drive.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I was hoping the 10" speakers will give me a bit more hi mids.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]But I am not quite sure if the 414 (4x10) will give me enough low end, hence the 610 quest.[/font][/color]

Having played both 610's i would say the ABM is miles better. Ive heard the CL speakers take a while to 'break in' but to me they just sounded cheap and undefined (and that was with a CTM300). The ABM on the other hand sounded full and warm. Just my two penneth worth

[quote name='spud19870' timestamp='1380214644' post='2222455']
I would agree, the CL especially for the money isn't worth it. Go for the ABM, those things are versatile and are tough to break. Plus they sound very good
[/quote]

The cl is specifically designed for valve amps, its a industrial strength sealed cab, and is designed to handle the massive low end that ashdowns tube range chuck out, and also distorted sounds, tube grind i.e no tweater. Tweaters sound horrid with distortion... and a valve amp would quickly kill it. if you are using ss amp i would go for the abm. the cl is smaller in width and it will fit though doors on its wheels the abm and most other 610s wont. Both have wheels so are supprising easy to move about. Are you sure you need a 610!! 300 watts or so into either of these is enough to make your ears bleed.!

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1380195149' post='2222094']
Having played both 610's i would say the ABM is miles better. Ive heard the CL speakers take a while to 'break in' but to me they just sounded cheap and undefined (and that was with a CTM300). The ABM on the other hand sounded full and warm. Just my two penneth worth
[/quote]

The cl610 has very expensive custom made drivers mine has uk made celestions. its far from tinny. bass is cellar deep very defined and tight, and it also has a very smooth top end. much better than the abm. I must admit it was a while before the speakers broke in which involved using the ctm300 i have at loud volumes which is not for the faint hearted....