Why become a member? ×

it's a tool to do a job.

MacDaddy

Played a gig with a guy who used a Nord the other day.....awesome sound!!!

I have a few different basses, a number of tools for different jobs, thas all. But comfort and personal preference does come into it!

Si

[quote name='chris_b' post='23486' date='Jun 26 2007, 12:47 PM']This is a quote by Lee Sklar, which pretty well sums up my approach as well:
"I am using my Dingwall fanned-fret 5string only. I am not one for dragging around a half dozen basses and always changing. If the song was done with a fretless in the studio, I just try to emulate it stylistically."[/quote]I see what Santa Sklar is saying about dragging loads of kit around, but I would never want to emulate a fretless part with a fretted bass. It wouldn't feel right.

I can see what he means though, you can emulate fretless playing quite easily with lots of slides etc.
Richard Bona mostly just uses his Fodera 5 Fretted live, and just emulates all his various sounds using his Roland V-Bass, pretty good fretless sound, certainly for live use.

Si

[quote name='King of Loss' post='23118' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:34 PM']I'm never selling any of mine, ever.[/quote]

I,ve always had that sentiment, unfortunately there is always something else along the way and if you,re not careful you end up tripping over cases all over the place!!!!!