Why become a member? ×

Paranoia...

tinyd

Hi all - I bought a second hand Shen 180 bass a few years ago and I've been plodding along with it quite nicely. I took it to a luthier today and he pointed out that the maker's label on the inside had been deliberately scratched off. I have the original receipt from the shop it was bought from, and from looking online the bass itself looks exactly like other Shens of the same age (12 years old). So, can anyone think of any reason why the label was scratched off? Has anyone heard of crappy companies creating clones of basses like Shens? The bass seems fine to me but there's nothing like a bit of paranoia to keep you awake at night...

Thanks henry - I must say that I prefer the second explanation :) It did occur to me that maybe Shen basses weren't as well know back then and maybe there was a general perception that all Chinese basses were of poor quality. Still, it seems like an odd thing to do but maybe not any more odd than people replacing Squier logos with Fender ones....

Hi ChrisF - yes, I think so, and yes to your questions. But I don't know much about DBs and I've not really played any others for any length of time so I was a little bit worried that I was missing something...but I think I should stop being a drama queen and just get on and play the thing.

Thanks!

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1379944338' post='2218510']
I think I should stop being a drama queen and just get on and play the thing.
Thanks!
[/quote]

lol... good idea.

I think, just like most things in life, the "mystique" surrounding the DB is mostly a lot of rubbish. There are obviously some things best left to a professional... fingerboard reshaping comes to mind, but most things are well within the scope of anyone with a bit of common sense.

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1379945762' post='2218531']

I think, just like most things in life, the "mystique" surrounding the DB is mostly a lot of rubbish. There are obviously some things best left to a professional... fingerboard reshaping comes to mind, but most things are well within the scope of anyone with a bit of common sense.
[/quote]

It's funny you should mention that, because fingerboard shaping is exactly what I'm going to get the luthier to do....it seems like one of those 'proper' skills alright.