Why become a member? ×

PSU question - Moog/Whammy paranoia...

bakerster135

Quick question for those of you in the know.

Had a gig last night and was in a bit of a rush to get set up, plugged the pedal power supplies in and stuck what I thought was the correct one into my Moog LPF. The lights came on on the pedal, I started doing something else, then noticed about 30 seconds later that I'd actually plugged the Whammy psu into the Moog!

The Whammy psu is 9v AC, whereas the Moog's 9v DC. Also, I think they use a different polarity.

The Moog seemed to work fine for the gig, but I was just wondering whether there's any potential that I could have done any damage to the pedal?...

Any thoughts, comments, etc would be appreciated!

Al

I could be wrong, but isn't AC in the UK positive & negative & in the US it's 2 positives? An AC power supply usually just reduces the voltage of the mains power whereas a DC PSU would use the AC mains power to run a small transformer to generate a lower voltage supply.
I'm surprised it worked on a reverse polarity, though the moogs are hardy pedals (I accidentally put the wrong polarity through my LPF too once).

The Moog pedals will happily run on any voltage from 9 to @ 15 volts. My MF-105b is daisychained on a 9v PSU & the MF-101 has it's own 12v.

Thanks for your help chaps! :)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Well I tried the Moog last night and all seems fine! Relief...[/size]

[size=4]It is bizarre that it worked with that adaptor though, came on with the green light as normal...Perhaps would have realised quicker if it hadn't! Slightly worried that I may have weakened some components but like you say Shep, I'm sure I would've know about it if something had been damaged![/size]