Why become a member? ×

Full circle and amp died tonight RIP

marvin spangles

Both my pick up Full circle and AI Focus died on a gig tonight. Ended up attaching a sm58 to the bridge with gaff a tape. Survived the gig ...only just. Judging from the burning smell from the Amp I don't hold out much hope. Does anyone in the uk do repairs on the FC pick ups? Last time this happened Fishman repaired it for free ... I couldn't possibly ask them again

There had been some "cracking ' coming from the pick up and I should have acted on that . The white cable on the FC was clearly making a bad contact due to overactive grandchildren pulling on the cable. I 'twillgled' it and it worked fine. Then last night on a gig it went again. I attached the sm58 and carried on the gig as you do. I didn't disconnect the PU from the amp. After a while there was the unmistakeable smell of electrical circuit burning. I don't know if the faulty pick up could have caused this or if it was an unfortunate coincidence. Yes Geoff Fishman replaced a damaged PU for free on a previous occasion . I think I'll get a replacement and get the old one repaired as a back up. I'll contact AI and enquire about repairs. Luckily I have an EA micro as back up. In fairness I have had a run of 5 or so years of stress free gigging with all gear holding up . The AI amp has served me well. I think I've had it since 2004.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1379856313' post='2217439']
Useful to find out from AI whether or not a p/up short could fry an amp. Please let us know what they say.

What a horrible experience.
[/quote]

A pick-up can't fry an amplifier - it's just a bad coincidence - and sorry to hear that!

...so I contacted Acoustic Image about the possibility of a repair with no expectation as the amp was at least 7 years old or maybe more. Rick Jones replies ...it's still under warranty ...send to us and we'll repair it. Now that's what I call customer service! Thanks guys for all the sympathetic comments! Regards Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just I thought I'd update you on the amp repair. After a lot of wrangling with customs I finally got my amp back from Fed ex. The amp is working like new and I noticed that Rick at Acoustic Image upgraded several other parts for free.
I checked the original purchase date 2005 . Amazing customer service. :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by marvin spangles