Why become a member? ×

Bow quiver or Arcohook?

Gethin

Hi

How many of you use a bow quiver on your double bass? I like the convenience of having my bow handy but am not sure about attaching something that big to my bass. I've heard reports that it can dampen vibrations. Has anyone tried Steve Berry's Arcohook, or know of anything similar?

Thanks

Speak to any master luthier who does mode matching ( à la Chuck Treagher ) , they will say dont go anywhere near a bow quiver if your bass has been expertly set up. Speak to a player or soloist and they will probably say get a quiver as the fastest way to draw to bow is when its but a few inches away from your hand!

Personal view is that a hook has its merits and having tried out mode matching on my bass its extraordinary how a few tweaks in the weight of the tailpiece and fingerboard change the vibrations, tone and volume of the whole instrument. Its a fascinating field matching the natural marimba like tone tapping on the fingerboard , and comparing it with the tone of the tailpiece, and the resonant frequency of the body. All clever stuff towards sound enhancement!

Before trying out mode matching I would have said 'quiver' ....now I would say 'hook' but only if your instrument has been expertly set up by someone like [url="http://www.beecheracoustics.com/sound_development_intonation.html"]Beecher Acoustics[/url] ! FWIW if a bass hasnt had that level of attention then I cant see that it makes a whole lot of difference !

• 2 weeks later...

I used a quiver for 8 years, and realised one day I was always taking it off to record, as my bass sounded much better, and why I wasn't doing this always.

I use the arco hook mostly off a mic stand or music stand as I move around a lot when I play and the bow flaps about a bit too much for me.

Thanks for all the advice. After trying a quiver I took the plunge and bought an Arcohook.

I LOVE IT!

I cannot recommend it highly enough. When Hanging off my music stand it is so easy to grab - just as easy as a quiver but without something flapping about on my bass.