Why become a member? ×

spraying guitars

lazybones

just got my hands on a mim jazz,it plays great but the body is very scratched ,i could just leave it but i want it perfect,what would you guys recommend, i have a fella who sprays my car for me and i am wondering wether to remove the factory paint probably with nitros and sand paper and get the car sprayer to re spray it ,poss a couple of coats and a cellulose finnish ..whats the best
way forward.

Yeah sand it back and get your auto bloke to spray it. Wood needs a primer, colour coat and then 5-6 coats of clear poly. Some say automobile paint isn't good for wood because it lacks the ability to swell with the wood during humid weather. I suspect that might just be the clear coats but might be worth checking that one any way.

Certainly don't need to take it back to wood. Just fill any holes and deeper scratches and then sand back to a smooth surface. I very much doubt you will need to go back to wood except maybe in small areas. It's a huge amount of effort to remove a finish completely also. Simply no need for it.

I agree, Fender never bothered with their custom colour orders. They just grabbed a bass that was already finished and stuck the custom colour on top.

If you expect a mirror finish though, that smoothness is important. Also keep an eye on what thickness any coats of paint do to clearances such as the neck joint.