Why become a member? ×

For Dr Bass 1260 owners

stevie

I'm having a clear-out of cabinets, speakers, bass bits, etc. and dug out the Dr Bass 1260 that I've had for a while but didn't rate very highly. The last thing I did before storing it was to measure its frequency response and set the mid and HF attenuators accordingly.

Having taking the photos and written the blurb, I decided to plug it in and have a quick listen. Bloody hell - it sounds as good as cabs I have with drivers that cost as much as this whole cab!

To cut a long story short, if you have one of these (I know there aren't many in the UK), the flat setting is mid at quarter past and HF at quarter to. Hardly intuitive, and chances are you will not have reached this flat setting by ear. Mine is the ceramic driver version, by the way - I can't really speak for the neos.

I still have too many cabs, but I'm going to give this one a try at the next band rehearsal before deciding whether to move it on. Personally, I think cab manufacturers should provide a useable response without resorting to mid and HF L-pads, as it is really easy to screw the sound up if you get the settings wrong.

Edited by stevie

Yes, that's the guy. But he certainly knows how to assemble a box.

The L-pads are the volume controls for the mid and high frequencies. Fitting those is a bit of a cop-out, I feel, as it leaves it up to the user to adjust their levels. Plenty of manufacturers fit them when they include a tweeter in a cabinet. They are the controls at the back of the side panel here:

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/nef2vp.jpg[/IMG]