Why become a member? ×

New to EUB

RussFM

So my Harley Benton EUB500 arrived over the weekend. I played what I could on it, and liked the tone, except for the ringing bridge and buzzing when playing around this e E on the A string. Last night I raised the action, and put a rubber pad under the pickup, then again on top, and added some more bow to the neck with the truss rod. I preferred the tone before! So maybe I'll remove one layer. The buzzing isn't gone, but it's better.

So what next? I can play a basic bit of 12 bar and some root-fifth stuff, but all around G or A. What are the best resources for learning? I've started watching Geoff's videos and search online for a teacher in the West Midlands but couldn't find anyone!

I am in Stafford mate, not easy finding a teacher is it?
Geoff's clips are brilliant, I really wish they had been online when I started as the rest of the Youtube ones are rubbish! I came on the most once I started to get the 'claw' thing down, I was playing like an elec bass at first as I am sure we all do unless starting on DB. Can you read? most of the good stuff is written afaik, I have the Rufus Reid book and started at the basics and got upto the walking section where I am starting to struggle a bit to get good constructive lines going. My theory and reading have come on leaps and bounds since starting with the Stagg around Christmas time.

Be patient, look back each week and take pride in what things you have learnt, dont over do it I have progressed quicker since having just 20 mins here and there than I did trying to put whole weekends to one side, and devour Geoff's clips returning to the same ones to confirm you are doing it right and almost certainly learn more each time. I have spent 2 weeks just on the walking pages from the toolbox, no need to rush.

Main thing, enjoy it :D

Best thing I did when starting on DB (and I'm pretty sure this translates to EUB) was get one 2-hour intro lesson from a good teacher.

That got me over the initial [i]"well what do I do now?[/i]" hump, and avoided picking up bad habits right at the start.

We're pretty well served for good bass teachers down here (I was able to use JakesBass) ... no idea who you have near you but you only have to ask.

I found one teacher advertising online, but they're classical only and not really affordable (not that style will mean anything at this stage, but I'd like someone open to other styles too). I've started playing along to a few songs. I think my biggest issues at the moment on thumb placement on the back of the neck, causing the space between my first two fingers to decrease as I move around the neck, and holding the bass, the angle I often find myself at, with the bass facing away from me rather than slightly towards me, makes it difficult to play the G string well with my right hand. Plenty more practising to do, enjoying it so far though!