Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Blacksmith 1600W

dmccombe7

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379495155' post='2213238']
Nah TC say and sell it as n watts, when it isnt, its g watts run through a multiband limiter/(other assorted shenanigans) rather like a simple digital mastering cover all solution, in order to get a higher average level to peak ratio (think radio station broadcast limiter).

The amp runs harder than a real n watt amp to achieve the same level as an n watt amp (by which I mean in achieving that same level the amp is running closer to its theoretical maximum more of the time - just look at the graphs in the pdf). Which may or may not worry you.

It also means the transients are very definitely curtailed, and that is something you may be able to feel. I can honestly say the TC stack sounds really loud, possibly louder than my rig in fact, but I prefer the sound and feel of my rig (I had a day with my rig sat next to Charics - IIRC - at a previous bass bash, so this is a personal subjective impression of the two rigs suide by side for an extended period of time).

I have no problem with that approach from an engineering point of view, if they said thats what they did, but in their initial push to market (anyone remember their bass 2.0 ads?) they kept this all very quiet.

Any kind of limiting or compression is a form of distortion of the signal, and to claim they have 500, 1000, 1700 watts of [i]clean[/i] usable power is frankly a lie. Whether this is a negative thing is entirely up to you of course :D
[/quote]

All of which is totally over my head I'm afraid :D i don't deny that TC have fibbed, my point really being that I just don't care as the sound I get from the amp has always been great, noticeably so than a lot of other stuff I have used. Having said that I would like a TH500 right now with the new Berg CN212. Great sounding rig and the only thing I'd consider swapping out for right now.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379495155' post='2213238']
Nah TC say and sell it as n watts, when it isnt, its g watts run through a multiband limiter/(other assorted shenanigans) rather like a simple digital mastering cover all solution, in order to get a higher average level to peak ratio (think radio station broadcast limiter).

The amp runs harder than a real n watt amp to achieve the same level as an n watt amp (by which I mean in achieving that same level the amp is running closer to its theoretical maximum more of the time - just look at the graphs in the pdf). Which may or may not worry you.

It also means the transients are very definitely curtailed, and that is something you may be able to feel. I can honestly say the TC stack sounds really loud, possibly louder than my rig in fact, but I prefer the sound and feel of my rig (I had a day with my rig sat next to Charics - IIRC - at a previous bass bash, so this is a personal subjective impression of the two rigs suide by side for an extended period of time).

I have no problem with that approach from an engineering point of view, if they said thats what they did, but in their initial push to market (anyone remember their bass 2.0 ads?) they kept this all very quiet.

Any kind of limiting or compression is a form of distortion of the signal, and to claim they have 500, 1000, 1700 watts of [i]clean[/i] usable power is frankly a lie. Whether this is a negative thing is entirely up to you of course :D
[/quote]

I agree the tone and feel is subjective with these amps. However, they still state the power modules used inside the amps are capable of producing the wattage stated when 'uncapped' by the APM.

If this is the case, then in theory, they are the stated wattage amps, and it would have probably cost less to use the power module on its own than develop a load of new technology (APM) to add to a low powered module.

I would not be one to know exactly what the APM is, and I very much doubt any of us understand it completely without seeing their no doubt confidential information.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379501326' post='2213344']
All of which is totally over my head I'm afraid :D
[/quote]

OK, then let's get this down to your level:
TC say and sell it as m watts, when it isnt, its f watts run through a multiband limiter/(other assorted shenanigans)
Glad to be of help.
:P

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1379506995' post='2213446']
OK, then let's get this down to your level:
TC say and sell it as m watts, when it isnt, its f watts run through a multiband limiter/(other assorted shenanigans)
Glad to be of help.
:P
[/quote]

Glad you could bring it down to 'my level', appreciated.

My post was a little tongue in cheek, but beyond the sound and functionality of the amp I have no personal problem with the TC power ratings. I was aware of how the ratings worked before I purchased the amp in the first place.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379508333' post='2213470']
Glad you could bring it down to 'my level', appreciated.
[/quote]

I hope you noticed I have you in high regard. Took it just one letter down. ;)
(BTW, I understood where the tongue was. Just couldn't resist an open goal.)

As to power ratings, I guess it's like with many other things: that even when sellers don't lie, that they still can have a hard time agreeing on what constitutes a good way of relating to them.