Why become a member? ×

70s Fender Precision weights

backwater

Often on boards I hear that 70s Fender Precisions (and Jazz) are heavier than 60s or 80s ones. I understand that Fender was less picky about the wood they used in the 70s but what is defined as light and/or heavy?

(Embarassingly - I'm asking this now having been a guitar tech for the last 10 years!)

Thanks

Andy :)

Edited by backwater

That's quite weird - last night I was thinking about posting a 'how much does your precision weigh?' thread.

I think the average weight of a P is about 9-9.5lbs, though I'd imagine a 70's (particularly late 70's) version would be about 2-3lbs heavier. I've got a 74 which is fairly hefty, but unfortunately no scales. :)

30 years since I bought my Precision (it's a 73) and in all that time I've never thought to weigh it. Hang on a mo.........

The bathroom scales say just under 8lbs , and that's with a few ounces of Badass and heavier M/Cs.

I wandered into the local guitar shop a couple of weeks back and picked up a 78 that was in for a refret. It wasn't there at all - certainly less than mine my a fair bit. I offered 600 for it through the shop but the guy wasn't selling - don't blame him.

The good Mrs Dr once tried to buy me a 77 Jazz for my birthday - happily our guitar player talked her out of it. I went to see it after I got the story and it weighed (approx) the same as Africa. Honestly , I struggled to get it off the wall stand and was lucky it didn't drop through the floor. Horrible purpley sunburst - neck pocket gap you could sleep in - f****g disgrace of a Jazz.