Why become a member? ×

Amps of the Eightees!!!

rodacademy

Trace Elliott and Peavey were the big dogs over here. My neighbour was (still is) a highly regarded pro and he used SWR. That thing sounded like glass even through concrete walls. I think it was a PB-200. He picked up a redhead as soon as they came out ('87 I think). IMO SWR redefined what bass amps could be and were THE brand to have back then.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1382516057' post='2252982']
I had GAS for Trace gear during the 80's but only ever owned their GP11 pre amp which went into a Peavey power amp feeding a Peavey cab with (i think) 15" 10" & 6" speakers which was so heavy it spent most of it's life in a [b]big caged trolley we pinched for behind a supermarket![/b]

Ended the 80's with a more sensible Peavey TNT 150
[/quote]
I did that too! In my case it was for my 60s Marshall 4x12. My 13 year old self could only lift it 6 inches off the ground on my own. The local Co-Op had these really heavy duty trolleys that were exactly 6 inches high, short enough to wheel under their back gate.
The damned thing squealed like crazy and I got a lot of looks as I pushed it to and from the local youth club for band rehearsals every week.

Edited by KingBollock