Why become a member? ×

Little Girl Blue

Mykesbass

Interesting arrangement with bass to the fore, keys gently providing the chords and guitar attractively noodling. Just thought it was really quite unusual, and of course, an exquisite performance by Janice Joplin.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY[/url]

Very nice indeed. Been comparing it with the album version & I'm torn between the two. JJ's vocals on the studio cut are much more restrained & fit the song better, but there's a rather syrupy string section over it that does it no favours. The understated Hammond in the TV version works much better.

Any idea who the band was? Big Jim Sullivan was TJ's guitarist for many years, so that's a likely candidate for one slot, but the rest…?

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1377438087' post='2187484']
Very nice indeed. Been comparing it with the album version & I'm torn between the two. JJ's vocals on the studio cut are much more restrained & fit the song better, but there's a rather syrupy string section over it that does it no favours. The understated Hammond in the TV version works much better.

Any idea who the band was? Big Jim Sullivan was TJ's guitarist for many years, so that's a likely candidate for one slot, but the rest…?
[/quote]

Funny, I did the same and much prefer the TV version - much nicer vibe. Was also wondering about the bass player - will try and find out some more about the TV shows.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1377629856' post='2189697']
Great, thanks for that. If that isn't Brad Campbell, somebody did a great job of copping his style!
[/quote]

Thing was there were all the union restrictions back then so, like Bloodaxe mentioning Big Jim Sullivan, I think there's a strong chance it would have been a British session player.

Love the avatar - one of my favourite films :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1377634188' post='2189775']
Thing was there were all the union restrictions back then so, like Bloodaxe mentioning Big Jim Sullivan, I think there's a strong chance it would have been a British session player.

Love the avatar - one of my favourite films :)
[/quote]

Good point about the Union practices of the time. The thing that gets me about that period is the standard of musicianship was so good, the pros either side of the Atlantic were playing such long hours all the time they monstered most charts put in front of them. It seems daft but even if you watch the old Muppet shows, different guest every week and heavy names too, and the band would be laying it out. The closest we have to that now I suppose would be the Jools Holland Orchestra, and as fantastic as that band is at their own arrangements, personally I think they lack a little something when it comes to playing material from another repertoire. Two examples that spring to mind are the Booker T and Bonnie Raitt performances from recent series. Maybe it's because the 60s guys were the sound of the popular music of the time and working on chart material day in day out. We all know how few musicians are involved in some material now, and there isn't that pool of talent that is shared across different playing disciplines. However, if I could play like Mr Swift I'm sure I wouldn't give two hoots about the opinion of some forum expert!

Anyway, the clip is still great even if my preference is for the original. That's just because Kosmic Blues must be one of my desert island albums and Janis is one of the few vocalists that have me hanging on every word.

Regarding the avatar, can't believe no-one thought of it before.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1377675112' post='2190075']
Good point about the Union practices of the time. The thing that gets me about that period is the standard of musicianship was so good, the pros either side of the Atlantic were playing such long hours all the time they monstered most charts put in front of them. It seems daft but even if you watch the old Muppet shows, different guest every week and heavy names too, and the band would be laying it out. The closest we have to that now I suppose would be the Jools Holland Orchestra, and as fantastic as that band is at their own arrangements, personally I think they lack a little something when it comes to playing material from another repertoire. Two examples that spring to mind are the Booker T and Bonnie Raitt performances from recent series. Maybe it's because the 60s guys were the sound of the popular music of the time and working on chart material day in day out. We all know how few musicians are involved in some material now, and there isn't that pool of talent that is shared across different playing disciplines. However, if I could play like Mr Swift I'm sure I wouldn't give two hoots about the opinion of some forum expert!

Anyway, the clip is still great even if my preference is for the original. That's just because Kosmic Blues must be one of my desert island albums and Janis is one of the few vocalists that have me hanging on every word.

Regarding the avatar, can't believe no-one thought of it before.
[/quote]

Nice post.

I think part of the problem for the session players is there just isn't the work anymore - the balance of power has shifted and the artists can all generally demand their own bands. A couple of exceptions, my pal was MD for the BAFTAs a couple of years ago when it was the big tribute to the Bond Films. That was some real old school session work and sounded fabulous. Jools' band I think are too much a band - they have that organic vibe, so when it comes to accompanying others they still put their own mark on it. Both styles have their own merit but I do think we'll be seeing less and less of the former.