Why become a member? ×

The Most Iconic Bass

Lowender

It's funny. I have 11 basses. (I know, I know) including a vintage P, a Ric, -- all styles, some with cool finishes including one that's the most shocking, eye opening sea foam green you'll ever see. I leave them all out on stands in my living room. I like to be able to pick any one up at any time. I also think they look beautiful.

So which one do people invariably take notice of, and comment first on?

The Hofner.

After all these years, that lowly cheapo bass simply stands out. Is it because of its shape? Or is it because Paul used it? I guess it's both.

Any by the way, I have a Hofner Icon , which is supposed to be their "budget line" bass, but the Hofner was never an expensive instrument. Paying thousands for it seems silly. There's no difference as far as I can tell.

It isn't a very practical bass, but it certainly does have a sound and a vibe. I love it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1376923443' post='2180925']
I'd guess it's the most iconic bass ever in relation to a specific person or band. They sound amazing, completely limited in what they can do but I've not heard any other instrument do what a Hofner can. Unique is the word. I love them.
[/quote]

My dads selling his contemporary,

Shameless plug 🙊

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1376918301' post='2180805']
Is it because of its shape?
[/quote]

My guess: yes.
I guess it stands out in your collection, as it would in many other collections, because of the combination of body size and near symmetrical shape.