Why become a member? ×

Troubleshooting my Laney Head

Huw

Well I decided to blow the dust of the Laney DP 150 that I got off eBay a short while ago. Just for home playing, while my regular head is at our practise room.

I've only tried it a couple of times before. The first time, I couldn't get a sound out of it, so tried turning it all the way up while banging on the strings. BLAM! The sound came on at full volume but once I turned it down to a manageable volume, it was fine for as long as I wanted to play it. I turned it on a few times in the week after and it was acting normal, again.

It's been a couple of months, so I just tried it this evening. Starting off much like the first time I tried it; no sound until I turned it all the way up, then it comes to life but now whenever I turn it back to the manageable volume, the signal just fades off and dies. I can turn it back all the way up and have the sound pop back, but I'll turn it down and the signal goes again.

I tried different speaker cables and instrument cables but the same problem across the board. I tried the headphone jack and the same output problem through the speakers occurs in the headphones, so I guess its a problem in the head, rather than the cab.

So, anyone had anything similar or think you know how to fix it?

when you turn up the volume do you get a slight crackling noise?
i get something similar if i dont use my bass for a while but turning up and down (not while playing) seems to clean the pot, maybe a corse of action you could try, like merton says it could well be dirty/lightly corroded

I'll have a look at cleaning up any contacts I can find on the pots and jacks tonight.

One other note though; trying to explain what's happening a little better.

I turn the volume up a bit, banging on the strings and I [i]can [/i]hear the signal but very quiet and fuzzy. I have to basically slap the E string as loudly as possible to make the signal pop through.

(rather than it just being no signal at all one minute, then full volume)

I recently got a couple of Laney amps out from disuse in order to sell them. One, either a PB150 or a DP150, had a similar problem, though I didn't spend much time on checking whether I could hear anything at low volumes, just nipped out to Maplin and bought some switch cleaner and sprayed the pots and sockets, and everything was cured.

Tonight it's working fine (so far). Maybe it needed a bit of a warm up.

Incidentally, how do you use switch cleaner? Do you have to open it up and spray it on, or do it externally?

Edited by Huw