Why become a member? ×

Returns/warranty advice please?

borisbrain

Hi folks,

Just six weeks after buying a brand new Gallien-Krueger MB212-II combo (which I raved about here on BC), the amp has started crackling very loudly, even with nothing plugged in and all dials set to zero. It's had very light usage since purchase, at moderate volumes.

I spoke to the retailer, SoundsLive. They say that since it's more than 28 days since the purchase, I must package up and return the unit at my own cost and await a warranty repair that could take weeks. I'll also be without an amp for some gigs and will either have to rent/borrow one.

It's been a while since I bought anything new, and was hoping for some reliability this time. I'm seriously hacked off about it, but wondered if any BCers can shed any light on the legality of SL's stance. I could be well out of pocket because of this, for a unit that's barely six weeks old.

I've spoken at length to SL and they won't budge...

Any observations/help welcome.

Thanks,

BB

I agree. There's nothing wrong with speaking to Krueger or their distributor directly.

More than likely one of these things will happen.

1. Soundslive will repair it, bill Krueger for the repair and then send it back to you.
2. They will just forward the item onto Krueger for repair.
3. They'll take a look at it and if it's something simple and it costs less than it would to forward it onto Krueger they'll repair it themselves.

So with all that said I'd contact Krueger. Krueger as the manufacturer will be footing the bill for repair somewhere along the lines, if it be Soundslive billing them for their time or Krueger paying their own stff to repair. So it makes sense to cut out the middle man. You may find in some cases they will collect it free (It's happened to me in the past, other times it hasn't). Certainly worth a go.

Does it crackle without anything plugged in? Not even a lead?

I'd investigate the input socket if you can do so without invalidating the warranty. Talk to Krueger and see what they say.

Just one small reason why buying from a local store is a good idea. A local store values your trade more, so will do more to help you.