Why become a member? ×

Sooo..what pickups for my Ibanez SR

ape

Ok, not sure where to start, after suffering from lack of funds I'm back to my original and first bass that I purchased and learned to play on, my trusty old Ibanez SR800, I've had her around 15 years and is looking a bit worse for wear, started off gloss black but long story short after my brother borrowed my bass bag and put an hole in it the paint work got ruined, I ended up stripping part of the neck and and refinishing in a blue stain and burned stripes into it. However now I'm wanting to do something different and bring her back to life, already have in mind what I want to do but the pickups have always sucked (no offence to people who like them) anyway quick question, anyone able to recommend a decent P and J configuration setup, would be more interested in people with an Ibanez SR that's done so but any input would be good. It's Ash body and maple neck. Considering a set or Barts if I can get a set cheap enough used but want to hear some opinions...and now I'm just waffling s I'll shut up

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1375858681' post='2166444']
The Jap SR800 has Ibanez AFR pickups. The SR1000 has EMGs labelled IBZ USA C2 (pre 90 was Ibanez).
The EMG pickups are pretty good, so may be worth looking at popping EMGs in your SR800.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice yeah she's pretty old, sounds like a good plan, was looking for active anyway and had EMG's in my 6 string ESP before I sold it and was very impressed. I don't mind modifying the pickup cavities and had considered some soap bars of some sort.