Why become a member? ×

EMG P Pickup distortion

NoirBass

I've installed an old EMG pickup in my Squier P bass.

Unfortunately it didn't come with the EMG loom, so I have had to improvise by getting info from the internet.

I used two 500k log pots and a 100nf cap and wired it all up using this (Diagram 1):

[url="http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2BASSPU.pdf"]http://www.sonic.net...pdf/2BASSPU.pdf[/url]

All I get is a low signal with full on distortion and both pots make no difference in either volume or tone.

I then tried two 25k log pots with exactly the same results.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by NoirBass

First first off, is this an active EMG?

First off it's definitely 25K pots you should be using with active EMG pickups.

Is your battery fresh? Is it wired the right way (+ve to the red wire of the pickup, -ve to the ring connector of the stereo jack socket)?

Are we talking old school EMG where the main wire is a single thick white one with a braid inside for the earth and a smaller white wire inside the braid for the hot signal and red being power into the pickup?

Hi Neepheid, thanks for the response.

First first off, is this an active EMG?

[b]I'm sure it is, I didn't know they did passive pickups? Plus they guy I bought it from said I should use a stereo jack socket, so that would imply it was active.[/b]

First off it's definitely 25K pots you should be using with active EMG pickups.

[b]Great, I'll stick with them then.[/b]

Is your battery fresh?

[b]Yep brand new.[/b]

Is it wired the right way (+ve to the red wire of the pickup, -ve to the ring connector of the stereo jack socket)?

[b]Red from pickup is connected to the +ve of the battery snap. At the moment (like the diagram) -ve on the battery snap is connected to the tip of the jack socket. This could be my first problem![/b]

Are we talking old school EMG where the main wire is a single thick white one with a braid inside for the earth and a smaller white wire inside the braid for the hot signal and red being power into the pickup?

[b]Yep, old school as you describe above.[/b]

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1375184008' post='2157688']
Is it wired the right way (+ve to the red wire of the pickup, -ve to the ring connector of the stereo jack socket)?

[b]Red from pickup is connected to the +ve of the battery snap. At the moment (like the diagram) -ve on the battery snap is connected to the tip of the jack socket. This could be my first problem![/b]

[/quote]

That indeed could be an issue. Tip == output signal, Ring == -ve from battery, Sleeve == circuit ground/earth.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1375191210' post='2157894']
Just swapped the wires over and thats sorted it.

Many thanks sir, as always Basschat comes to the rescue!

I'm off to play my bass.
[/quote]

No worries :)

Remember to unplug your lead when you're not playing if you're used to this being a passive bass...

Make sure you've got the sleeve/ring right. If your battery dies after a month, regardless of usage levels then you might have the battery and ground wires the wrong way round (leaving the battery connected all the time regardless of the state of the jack). Just a thought, as I made this mistake once when I replaced the preamp in a Yamaha BB614 ;)