Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot sound

Guest MoJo

Used 'em for years, always worked for me..

I think the 'typical' Trace noise is heard quite clearly in the tone of Mark King's bass on (earlier?) Level 42 recordings. There's plenty of weight and depth, a distinct cut in the low-mid-mid-mid region but Mark always seems to have a little bit too much 'clank' for my liking around the 2-3Khz zone.

Personally I use the pre-shape (or shape one on SMX) and on the graphic cut 1 and 2khz and apply boost at 250hz and 5k..

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1375049771' post='2156242']
What is this "lightweight" crap everyone cares about so much nowadays? Not heard a single one of these class D lightweight toys produce any desirable tone! So what the amp weighs 20 kilograms, is sounds da bomb! Since when is 20kg too much for a grown man to carry anyway... Whimps.
[/quote]
+1. Sorry this is funny!

Actually, it is not so funny when your life is ruled by a lumber problem, I can assure you. I used to have a great Trace Elliot rig - last of the pre-Gibson stuff - 300W head, 15" and 2x10" cabs. I forget the model numbers but it was all good stuff. Plus one of the older amps, plus also an 18" cab - all mix and match according to my whims. I loved it - for the tone I wanted all I had to do was set the pre-shape and I was in business. Local firm to me, I bought into the whole groovilium thing and identified strongly with the brand.

Then, bang, an occasional and infrequent lower back problem suddenly became a chronic and everyday issue. Most aspects of my way of life had to change. And lugging best part of 100kg worth of bass rig in and out of my car was one of the first things to go.

Now a TC Electronics Classic 450 through a Barefaced Compact and Midget gives me the sound I want and I can still carry out routine tasks the next day without pain or needing to visit the osteopath.

I always wanted one when I was a basslet but could never afford one. I think to be honest,it was the lights and flashy green was what was calling me. Finally, I had enough and was down looking for one when the boy in the shop said why not try this Ashdown combo? Boy, I am glad I went for that. Nowadays I tend to think of TE's as 80's bling that never really had the balls to back it up. Go for an Ashdown or an Ampeg if you want a killer sound