Why become a member? ×

Roto Trubass - Poor intonation on E string

markdavid

Am having some problems with the intonation on these strings (on the E string) , the string goes slightly sharp from the 3rd fret down . The E string seems to be a bit too long , even though I got the right scale length for my bass (32" medium scale) , I wonder whether having part of the actual string wrapped around the tuning post might be causing the intonation issue? I have used rounds and flats and never had this issue before , any help appreciated

I'd imagine you haven't sufficiently opened-out the nut slot for the E string and/or you have too much of an angle between the nut and tuner (try slackening off and lifting the wound E string up the post a bit).

That being said, I still have a little sharpness on mine at the end of the neck - just come up with a workable compromise...

I've got the same set (32") but on a fretless, so I always think its my fault! I've tried a few types of plastic strings on 34" scale basses, and there is something weird about the roto's tuning - its all a bit undefined. The Labella's are very different, with a clearer sound and better intonation, but they don't do a 32" scale set (and come with warnings about breaking if they don't fit well).

BB