Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass strings for pick playing unplugged?

kristo

I have a Fender BG32 30" scale acoustic bass on route that I'll be using for some acoustic practices/open mikes unplugged and am looking for some advice on the best sort of strings for it. I play with a pick, and have recently put TI Flats on my SG bass, which I am loving, so something flat would be ideal, but not necessary.

I'm guessing maybe bronze strings will give me the most volume if I dig in with the pick, but then I don't want loads of fret noise when I slide etc. Any input from you guys would be appreciated. Cheers.

Hi

I have a Freshman acoustic bass.
I use the same strings as I have on my 4001, D'Addario Chromes.
I am happy enough with the sound but I'm only using the acoustic for solo practice.
You might want a little more of the high end that you would get from roundwound strings but, as you say, a bit more finger/fret noise as well.

One thing I would say, and it has been pointed out on BC many times, an acoustic bass is unlikely to keep up, volume-wise, with other acoustic instruments if it isn't amplified.
My band has occasional "acoustic" practices and my acoustic bass is totally lost against an acoustic guitar and a fiddle.
You just end up hammering the strings to be heard.
I would recommend using even a tiny amp, just to lift the volume a bit.
This, in turn, could dictate a wider choice of strings for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Just noticed the previous post Re volume.

Edited by beely

Thanks for the replies.

I have done some reading and am aware that I'm probably not going to have much joy, but our guitarist is pretty accommodating in playing softly when needed, so I'm hoping for the odd practice it might be enough.... The open mike has a PA should I need it anyway, so it is mainly just for practicing.

Useful post. I've Recently( maybe rashly) bought an electro acoustic
bass. I've had a few before and didn't really like them that much. I'm not keen on the bronze strings so any other suggestions would be welcomed . Good and cheap would be good as I'll probably only have an occasional plonk,or sell it as I'll remember why I got rid of my other ones!
And, yes I should know better