Why become a member? ×

Bored & pendantic, is this tab wrong? Chris Izaak Wicked Game, E or Em?

iconic

So I'm bumbling along thinking I'm getting the hang of a little theory 'n stuff and then I find I've been playing this tune wrong, possibly?

Obviously there ain't too much going on in the bassline....but I like to play the melody to it, or some would call it overplay the bassline ;) but indulge me....and PS I love the look of the bass players Fender (?) and he simply plays a root E.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8GDODC_1Q[/media]

I 'thought' being as it's all written in Bm it would be Bm-A-Em...then i find the 3 tabs I've found list the Em I play as an E major....see here.
[url="http://www.e-chords.com/chords/chris-isaak/wicked-game"]http://www.e-chords....aak/wicked-game[/url]

Now of course The answer maybe that it's because Chris wrote what he wanted & he can have a E major any day of the week if he wants one...he's the song-smith not me, and so what, it sounds great.

But, with my limited knowledge of theory, if I harmonise a Bm I get Bm, C dim, D major, E minor, F minor, G major, A major....yes?

I've been trying to look at Mr Izaak's fingering on his geetar to see if he plays an E major or E minor, someone with better eyes and 6 string undestanding may wish to take a gander...to me @ 39 secs he looks like he is playing a F# with his middle finger, which erm looses me totally as it would be either a G for minor G# for major as a low played 3rd....even though I would think he would play an open E...maybe he uses a different tuning or something?

any help most welcome gentlemen and ladies.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1374527257' post='2149833']
E Major mate.
[/quote]

what the key?...wouldn't that make the B a major if harmonised as 'normal' though?

...hang on found the sheet music...it is an E major!

...is there a reason would he would have an E major and not a minor, in that is that quite a common thing to do, have a the 4th in a minor scale being major not minor?

cheers guys

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1374532349' post='2149913']
what the key?...wouldn't that make the B a major if harmonised as 'normal' though?

..strange the sheet music said Bm too?
[/quote]

I think you need to remember songs are built on musical feelings, not theoretical rules. It sounds nice, and it's probably built on a mode, B Dorian I think, the second mode of the major scale, it's a minor mode, seems to me the E is major but I could be wrong.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1374532846' post='2149923']
I think you need to remember songs are built on musical feelings, not theoretical rules. It sounds nice, and it's probably built on a mode, B Dorian I think, the second mode of the major scale, it's a minor mode, seems to me the E is major but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

sorry I change that while you must of been replying, yes you ar right, cheers for the help.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1374533109' post='2149928']
sorry I change that while you must of been replying, yes you ar right, cheers for the help.
[/quote]

Can you hear the key centre in those chords? I mean, can you tell that Bm (albeit with a sharp 6th) is the key? Rather than E Maj or B Maj?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1374857599' post='2154174']
You are correct the [u][i][b]'key signature' [/b][/i][/u]would have me believe its in A major what with those F#, C# and G#s.

....now if only they wrote..... ;)
[/quote]

Ah, but they have!

Honestly, it makes not one bit of difference if you treat it modally or as A major... the bassline should follow the harmonic progression and take any passing tones from the key centre. Which should have exactly the same effect.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1374858792' post='2154196']
Ah, but they have!

Honestly, it makes not one bit of difference if you treat it modally or as A major... the bassline should follow the harmonic progression and take any passing tones from the key centre. Which should have exactly the same effect.
[/quote]

B)