Why become a member? ×

Arco basics. Any good resources out there?

BassInMyFace

hi folks. i really want to have a crack at arco and now finally have the option to practise silently with my nxt4. really struggling to find decent resources to get me started. the youtube stuff is not very inspirational. im looking for some pointers on technique and some simple pieces to learn by ear (sorry, no real interest in slogging through notation, probably sacrilege when it comes to arco right???!) can anyone recommend a good series of videos or a book/cd?

and can someone for the love of god please answer me why my notes often sound "choked" when i bow? i have tried different pressures, different right and left hand techniques but cant find a pattern. its sounding full and clean and then every so often bam, horrible, weak, choked noise appears from nowhere. not a setup issue as hits any string it feels like.

as u can see, this is the level im at with arco. why cant i just make it sound amazing???

Is it when you're changing strings or bow direction? In which case it may be that you're not putting enough pressure on the string to start it cleanly (my bad fault). I'm working through various Sevcik exercises BUT they'll be no use to you if you don't want to read music.

Steve

Could be that you are too stiff with your wrist and are sawing the strings rather than rolling. Pull upwards at an angle from the left hand side of the string and push upwards at an angle from the right - the bow angle of attack is different on the up bow to the down bow - rather than being flat sawing backward and forwards - give that a try !

Also try loosing off your bow - if its too tight it will screech and skid over the strings. There wants to be just enough tension so that you can play cleanly without playing another unwanted string a the same time - if the bow is too lose its hard to play just one string. Like steve says if you want to get into bowing you need to read - that will unlock a universe of info and music for you !

thanks guys, i recognise the "sawing" vs rolling comment ubassman made. will work on that. Tbh i am certain my bow hand is all wrong and all videos i watch confuse and contradict.

to clarify, i can read music but dont have time/interest in full on classical bass at this point. i would love to get involved one day but gig schedule and work is keeping me too busy to stray too far out of my comfort zone.

any other suggestions for resources to use at your own pace?

in answer to my own question and for any others who find this thread, have quite enjoyed this guys videos. his delivery is hilariously deadpan but feels like there's a lot of content.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/driveadoublebass?feature=watch"]http://www.youtube.com/user/driveadoublebass?feature=watch[/url]

Sorry to say there is no good resources other than a tutor... With the vids you are only going to gather information on how to use the bow.. Whereas a tutor will be able to tweak any queries you have... Just pay.. as its all an investment... You can buy books and watch vids but end of the day you are going to need solid guidance to make a good sound.

Goodluck!

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1374604125' post='2150828']
Get hold of Rabbath's 'Art of the Bow'.

Makes total sense of all aspects and inspirational too. :)
[/quote]

Shameless plug - I have this for sale, see post on this forum :-)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213358-for-sale-francois-rabbath-art-of-the-bow-dvd"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213358-for-sale-francois-rabbath-art-of-the-bow-dvd[/url]

Jennifer

The limitations of any book or a you tube video, dvd is that they have no eyes, ears or involvement in your playing . They can't adjust your elbow , advise if your bow is dropping , the tension too high on the hair, whether you've caked on the rosin too much ....or give you any corrective feedback .

Theres quite a lot out there but they will probably be most valuable once you have got a few basics under your belt. Best thing to get started is to buy in the expertise of a tutor - probably will make quicker progress than trying to unravel the words of wisdom in a 'resource'! Good luck with it ! :)

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1375472116' post='2162034']
Best resource? A big mirror so you can see what you're actually doing when you're bowing :)

Steve
[/quote]

Except that the reflected angles can mislead you badly until you actually calibrate against the true angle of the hair on the string.

Or maybe I should just practice sober. :)

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1374582977' post='2150448']
Sorry to say there is no good resources other than a tutor... With the vids you are only going to gather information on how to use the bow.. Whereas a tutor will be able to tweak any queries you have... Just pay.. as its all an investment... You can buy books and watch vids but end of the day you are going to need solid guidance to make a good sound.

Goodluck!
[/quote]
This.
For that moment when you have someone who really knows, stood in front of you saying:
YES! thats [i]IT....[/i]
Not available in video format.

Edited by jakenewmanbass