Why become a member? ×

Weird G&L tribute l2000 issue

krazy_olie

HI all, wondering if anyone can shed some light on what might be the issue with my L2000.

Essentially, in passive mode if I don't have the bass pot turned to to full there is a massive volume drop. That's it, in active it works fine and with the bass pot up to max it is also fine.
My guess is a capacitor gone bad but beyond that I'm clueless.
It's not a massive deal as I usually only cut the bass in active but it's still something of a nuisance.

Thanks in advance!

The tone controls are passive, cut only regardless of the state of the preamp switch - I find it odd that the behaviour changes with the switch.

The only similar issue I've had was with a bust bass pot on my El Toro. 100% bass was fine but as soon as you turned it down below 90%, all the bass disappeared. Replaced the pot, problem unsurprisingly went away.

Is this a genuine volume drop (you still have plenty low end in the sound, just quiet), or a removal of bass making it sound weedy and thin?

to me that sounded like a damaged track on the POT Neepheid.

Ive tried to copy the G&L Bass tone (treb being standard really) but i used a B500K and it only seems to have MAX or NOT
What seems logical to me, MAX its shorting out the CAP and as soon as you drop it down it finds the cap a easy way to get by.
Wonder if i increasted the Cap as it moves along, 500K with a 4n4F from 10-8, then up to 5n6 or 6n2F.. Ill have a play on that.
If it is the case then would you be better off with a Hexadecimal Switch or a 1P12T and drop the Pot all together.

i went off subject again soz

Edited by AngelLaHash

Been like this for a month or so, but hardly had a chance to use it. It's over 6 years old and was fine up until then.

It's a full on volume drop,first time I noticed it I thought there was no output at all. Then switched to active and all was normal, then back to passive and eventually figured out how to get normal volume back.

That makes sense that it's shorting the cap, I need some replacement pots for my Fender too so looks like I am going pot shopping!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374515310' post='2149605']
I like going for the most obvious things first. :)

You [b]are[/b] going to get a comparative volume drop when in passive mode if the tone controls are further back than the midway point.
[/quote]

Not really, the tone controls on the L2000 are passive, cut-only type.

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1375442911' post='2161384'] So erm, turns out it was the lead. Was also getting a very low output from my passive Fender. [/quote]

How can the lead be the culprit, when you said the volume drop depended on your switching the preamp on/off?

But if you're sure it works fine now... great!

Well I'm guessing the lead was a bit messed up, probably giving it a high resistance, and needed a certain impedance to work properly. I've had issues with computer speakers where the jack/cable is dodgy and would only work if the volume was high.
I started a course on interconnects at university, I thought it was about one thing but the entire course was about wires n stuff. I didn't go to the second lecture, if I had I might understand why, but as it is I'm almost clueless.