Why become a member? ×

Mozart

KevG

OK so I have had an East Coast Stagg clone for 5 years or so and mostly play it with my Church band. Today we had a barbecue where the band played and two very accomplishes violinists played a couple of Mozart violin sonatas and they asked if I could play with them, along with their keyboard player. Well of course I said yes and wow, just wow! Haven't played classical music since I was 18 (36 years ago) and that was on trombone. Managed to sight read the bass part and I think it sounded really nice. They've now asked me to play with them again! Think I now need a real DB, no room at home, what do I do?

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1374356151' post='2148086']
Make room! Move some furniture - think of it as a show piece of furniture; sell something; ditch something; buy a smaller settee, but most importantly of all - buy a DB!!!
[/quote]
+1
I freecycled a sofa recently to make space for a piano. Go for it!

Make room! Move some furniture - think of it as a show piece of furniture; sell something; ditch something; buy a smaller settee, but most importantly of all - buy a DB!!!
[/quote]

+ another 1. There's always a way (but don't recommend disposing of the bed).

Steve

While you may not regret getting a double bass, there doesn't seem to be an immediate need. Just keep using the EUB for now, from what you say, they seem happy with that.

I'm sure the desire to get one will take over soon :)

[/quote]
again +1.. this stands to be one of those 'most quoted' posts!

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1374407317' post='2148366']
While you may not regret getting a double bass, there doesn't seem to be an immediate need. Just keep using the EUB for now, from what you say, they seem happy with that.

I'm sure the desire to get one will take over soon :)
[/quote]
I'd say if you're planning to play with acoustic violins only the 'real thing' will do tonally. EUB and an acoustic DB are quite a different experience. Each has it's place, just the DB has a bigger one!

[quote name='KevG' timestamp='1374410319' post='2148403']
Thanks for these responses guys, time to work on her ladyship I guess!
[/quote]

A few lines could help, like:
Double bass players stay sober ('cos they have to drive with the wretched thing).
Double bass players can't have groupies ( 'cos there's no room left in the car.)
Double bass players (male) can't get divorced ('cos there's not enough room in a bedsit for the bass.)
Double bass players have to make lots of money (no explanation needed).

:)