Why become a member? ×

Stand up

timmo

I have been learning the bass sitting down. I can`t believe the difference as I can`t play a note standing up. Can`t see the neck and what my fingers are doing. Is it just keep practicing trying, or is there a little technique that might help?

For me, when playing standing up, my bass can end up in any number of positions - to the side, at a cocked angle, pulled in close to my (ample) belly - because that's part of performing for me, and alos because I don't like to be that rigid.

Playing seated, it's very easy to keep the bass in one fixed place for consistent playing which can enable you to nail some difficult techniques consistently, which is great for recording but not so great if you hope to be jumping around the stage!

The more you play, the more you'll find a kinda sweet spot of comfort for your bass.

The best advice I can give is to practice as close to how you intend to perform as possible so if you're going to be playing mostly standing, you either need to practice while standing or find a sitting position (on a stool perhaps, on the edge of the seat) which replicates the position of the bass on you when in a standing position. Play around with the lenght of your strap too as this may make a huge difference to finding the right way for you to play.

Just be careful not to settle on a playing position where your arms/wrists are too extremely bent as this may lead to long-term injury.

I found the transition fairly easy by adjusting the strap so my Bass is in the same position when seated and standing. Also I find it easier to look at the fretboard when the top screw isn't on the back of the bass like my T Bird... But for that I just crane my neck a bit and blow out my belly .... :-D

Guest bassman7755

Try making yourself look at the back of the neck rather than the fingerboard when practising so that you are forced to locate notes by feel of strings and frets. That will make you much more confident when playing stood up at rehearsal or gig.