Why become a member? ×

Another Thunderbird

Samashton12

Hi Guys,

Kinda Decided my next bass was gonna be a P or an EB3.. Then i found this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231015786224"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231015786224[/url]

Horrendously overpriced, but its beautiful.

Also anyone fitted Gibson USA Tbird Pickups into an Epiphone Thunderbird IV?

My white one has them as standard but i think the routes are bigger..

Thanks,
Sam

[i]I had an Epiphone T bird bass which I really liked the look of but I hated the balance on the thing. It was very neck heavy due to the massive head stock, plus I found the pups were very quiet. Id always wanted a T bird because I think they are gorgeous. Id love to try a proper Gibson one to see how much different it sounds[/i]

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1374050758' post='2144556']
[i]I had an Epiphone T bird bass which I really liked the look of but I hated the balance on the thing. It was very neck heavy due to the massive head stock, plus I found the pups were very quiet. Id always wanted a T bird because I think they are gorgeous. Id love to try a proper Gibson one to see how much different it sounds[/i]
[/quote]

Gibson and Epiphone Thunderbirds are two completely different instruments related only by having a similar shape. Even the current Gibson models have little in common with the originals from the 60s that they take their name from.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1374052322' post='2144598']
I thought maybe they were similar to the Fender/Squire guitars which are not worlds apart. What puts me off the Gibson T bird is the bloody prices for a good one!
[/quote]

Not at all.

Different woods, different construction, different pickups (some Epiphones have the same pickups as the current Gibson models but none are the same as the original Thunderbirds). TBH you're better off looking for a Japanese copy by Greco.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374054719' post='2144653']
Not at all.

Different woods, different construction, different pickups (some Epiphones have the same pickups as the current Gibson models but none are the same as the original Thunderbirds). TBH you're better off looking for a Japanese copy by Greco.
[/quote]

My Epi' Thunderbird is pretty damn close to a Gibson, neck thru, same woods (i think :/), Gibson PU's, The only giveaway is the made in Indonesia sticker on the back of the Headstock :)

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1374019405' post='2144408']
Quite a nice bass, I do like the 70's styled Tbirds :) however, yes, the price is a tad too much. At most £250 in GC.

The USA pickups in the Epi? Well yes, epiphone did with your classic :P personally I wouldn't waste my time or money doing it myself.

BSB
[/quote]

I think the routes on my classic are a tad bigger. TAPE MEASURE TIME :) the classic is a brilliant bass though, £350 and pure quality.

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1374056178' post='2144678']

I think the routes on my classic are a tad bigger. TAPE MEASURE TIME :) the classic is a brilliant bass though, £350 and pure quality.
[/quote]

Exceptional for the price, if only they where out 3 years ago I'd have saved a pretty penny :( haha!

Need to get some pics up matey ;)

BSB

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1374056031' post='2144676']
My Epi' Thunderbird is pretty damn close to a Gibson, neck thru, same woods (i think :/), Gibson PU's, The only giveaway is the made in Indonesia sticker on the back of the Headstock :)
[/quote]

But which Gibson Thunderbird? As I said in an earlier post the current Gibson version has little in common with the ones originally produced in the 60s. That doesn't mean that the 60s one are better (for you), but you need to recognise that the Thunderbird has changed a lot over the 50 years it has been in existence, and that the modern ones are very different to the instruments they take their name from.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374056615' post='2144688']
But which Gibson Thunderbird? As I said in an earlier post the current Gibson version has little in common with the ones originally produced in the 60s. That doesn't mean that the 60s one are better (for you), but you need to recognise that the Thunderbird has changed a lot over the 50 years it has been in existence, and that the modern ones are very different to the instruments they take their name from.
[/quote]

Apologies for not reading your post correctly :(

I've also played a Tokai Thunderbird, Fantastic Basses, I think the bridge looks weird though and i prefer the look of the 3 point bridge.