Why become a member? ×

The Plethora Of Long Lasting Strings

BASainty

I have no experience with coated string and as there are so many companies bringing their take on them out I wanted to know which were the best you can buy.

Checking out strings direct they have Ernie Ball Cobalt sets, Elixirs, DR Extra Life, Daddario EXP and Dean Markley Cryo-tech string.

All raging the same kind of price and all promising the same thing but which (if any) are the best?

Its worth mentioning that im looking for nickel strings and not steels.

I've got a set of Elixirs on my P. They've not lasted as long as I hoped, but i'm very good at killing strings (I killed a set of EB Slinkies in 6 days once) so they've actually lasted quite well. Only problem is that with the price hike, i think they're too much. I've been recommended to check out Cleartone strings as well, so maybe add them to your list?

Liam

I do not use coated strings because to me, they sound like a blanket thrown over them, which, essentially, they are. Strings die as a result of fret wear, finger gunk getting into the windings, and occasionally a mishap at a gig or practice, or flaw in the core of the string. For longetivity, the best bet is to find a string that has tight windings and keep them clean. GHS Pressurewounds do a good job of this. They are a round wound string, but the windings are slightly compressed so that they are tighter. This takes the edge off the tone when new, but that is a small tradeoff for more generally consistent tone and greater longevity.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1373881553' post='2142473']
For a few songs I do use a pick and I prefer the sound of nickel strings
[/quote]

But putting a coating on the strings changes the sound that they would have uncoated anyway. And it's hardly likely that whatever coated strings are available will be identical to your favourite nickel strings but with a coating, therefore the distinction between steel and nickel may not be an issue once the coating is taken into account.

TBH the only way you'll find out if you like the strings is to try some. I guess choosing nickel with coating over steel with coating is as good a way as any to cut down the choices initially. However don't rule out steels if you find you don't like coated nickel strings.