Why become a member? ×

Extended chord names

P-T-P

A tune we're learning has a chord in it that I've seen written down as being Amaj9.

The notes in the chord (as played on the guitar) are A - E - G# - B - E.

What's confusing me, in terms of the name of the chord, is the lack of a C# in the actual notes that are played in the song. If someone had asked me to play an Amj9 arpeggio I would have included a C# in there.

Wouldn't the missing C# make the B in the chord a suspended 2nd or does the fact that G# is present as the major 7th force the B, by default, to be a 9th?

Just to avoid any further confusion, the chord is almost certainly an A in the context of the tune as it serves to set-up a key change between A and E.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='215300' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:19 AM']Is anybody else playing a C#?[/quote]

Don't think so, vocal harmonies possibly.

Though my question grew more from the fact that I have seen that particular guitar chord voicing referred to as an Amaj9 (irrespective of the song I'm learning it happens to have cropped up in).

I wasn't particularly bothered by the chord name until I had to transpose to a different key and didn't like any of the voicings I'd come up with on my own so wanted to look for an alternative. I looked for the tab/chords for the song, where it's named as Amaj9 and if you do a search for Amaj9 chord shapes, that particular voicing commonly occurs (minus the C#).

dlloyd is right - or it could be a A maj 9 (no 3rd) - by leaving the third out, you can create an 'open' feel whose ambiguity creates a texture all of its own (its subtle but its there). Coltrane often played minor chords without thirds to create a similar effect.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='215334' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:58 AM']Is the voicing x02100? I would normally call that Amaj7 sus2 without any other context. If there is a C# anywhere in the harmonies it'll become an Amaj9.[/quote]

Yup, that's the voicing and Ama7 sus2 is excatly what I wanted to call it, but seeing it referred to as Amaj9 had me doubting. Serves me right for believing the internet. I'm pretty sure there's no C# anywhere else as it sounded a bit odd with the C# played in the guitar chord and in the overall sequence of chords it makes sense (to me at least) that it be absent as it's disappearance and re-appearance lead nicely into the key change.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='215338' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:04 PM']dlloyd is right - or it could be a A maj 9 (no 3rd) - by leaving the third out, you can create an 'open' feel whose ambiguity creates a texture all of its own (its subtle but its there). Coltrane often played minor chords without thirds to create a similar effect.[/quote]

That makes sense too, the ambiguity creates a certain drama and allows for the possibility of moving in a couple of directions.

Thanks both.