Why become a member? ×

'Maya' Electric bass

orangepeelneil

[size=4][font="Arial"]

Hello Everybody,

Up for sale is my Old Maya Made in Japan.

This was my first bass from 1989 and has certainly seen some action (along with being lent to many friends over the the years).

At some time I stripped the sunburst finish (tut!) and did my own mustard paint DIY job, which you'll lurve or hate (along with replacing the telecaster style pickup and scratchplate/pots and knobs)

Other that that it is original.

The paint job is pretty poor, but it is laquered and there are plenty of marks consistent with age.The neck still plays well and has aged nicely with knocks and laquer wear.

I'd recommend a pickup upgrade ( i think they are cheap JHS pickups from 1991?)

Anyway (too much sentimentality)

Offers ? would make a good project or beginners bass..Please save me from putting this on Fleabay ( i also have a nice vox standand MIJ for sale)

Cheers Neil

Central Bristol BS3
[/font][size=3][/size][/size]

Edited by orangepeelneil

Hi Neil, interesting bass, and some of us do like a bit of JapCrap!

Could you tell me - having refinished it, is the body ply or solid timber under the paint? Also, is that the original scratchplate, and was the original pickup a "proper" P type, or some different configuration? A lot of the earlier JapCrap Fender copies had small chrome single-coils, pretty common on those that came out of the Rokkomann/Maya factory, like this one on Ebay:

Any chance of a ballpark figure you'd be looking for?

Jon.

[[font="Arial"]
Hi jon,

Thanks for the mail,

I see from basschat your one of the MIJ experts,

I'm a big MIJ fan myself, my 'Fresher' Jazz being one of my best finds (once i changed the pups)

I also have a MIJ solid ash bodied bass? with a Ibanez silver series decal that i bought in the states (they said it was an Electra,Vantage or Univox but i'm not so sure,the tuners and neckplate look like hondo) It plays ace once i had it set it up and put in some good pups and i also have a trusty Westone Thunder 1A

Anyway...

The Body is ply with a nice wood veneer where the sunburst was finished, i'd hoped it would be solid when i stripped it.I raced to refinish it a while back (very loose term in this case!) and it could be redone really.

It was exactly the same as the one you sent except with a B/W/B pickguard and the tele style pup.

I changed the pups,scratchplate and (maybe pots/knobs) when i was a 'youth'.

Price wise i don't know really, don't want to be too cheeky as it needs tidying up...please save me from Ebay.. make me an offer i'm reasonable.

I also have a lovely MIJ Vox bass which is thunderous (yet really heavy) a really underated bass for sale

Hope that helps,

Cheers Neil [/font][size="3"][/size]