Why become a member? ×

Recommended Replacement P/ups for Yamaha RBX270

Deedee

Hi all

I have a couple of Yamaha RBX270 basses that are used for back up/detuning etc.

One of them is absolutely fine, plays and sounds well across all strings. The other however sounds particularly ropey on the E string. A wavey sound almost as if there's an effect on it. I've tried different strings but still the same problem.

Therefore I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade the bass by replacing the pick ups (and possibly the pots). Any recommendations on a decent set of P/J pick ups that won't break the bank?

Many thanks

My RBX270 has one of the punchiest E strings on any bass I've ever played. I suspect a change of strings may sort your E string out. If not, I would be loathe to spend much money upgrading the bass, as I suspect something else is going on to make the E string sound odd. May need a new nut for example.

Does the E string sound strange on both pickups individually ? I'll bet it does. Try those strings !

Anyway, as for pickup recommendations, I have replaced the bridge pickup on mine with a Dimarzio DP147, which is big improvement on balance between the pickups IMO. Excellent tone too. Also no hum from the bridge pickup. Everyones a winner ! Personally, I like the original RBX270 neck pickup a lot. I have preferred it to aFender original and a Dimarzio Model P I have tried in there.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1373453550' post='2137700']
My RBX270 has one of the punchiest E strings on any bass I've ever played. I suspect a change of strings may sort your E string out. If not, I would be loathe to spend much money upgrading the bass, as I suspect something else is going on to make the E string sound odd. May need a new nut for example.

Does the E string sound strange on both pickups individually ? I'll bet it does. Try those strings !

Anyway, as for pickup recommendations, I have replaced the bridge pickup on mine with a Dimarzio DP147, which is big improvement on balance between the pickups IMO. Excellent tone too. Also no hum from the bridge pickup. Everyones a winner ! Personally, I like the original RBX270 neck pickup a lot. I have preferred it to aFender original and a Dimarzio Model P I have tried in there.
[/quote]

You're bang on.

I changed the E for an old 105 I had in the bottom of a gig bag and hey presto, the spacey, wavy sound has gone. So I'm just off to the shops to get myself a sparkly new set of strings with a 105 E.

Every day's a school day!

Many thanks 😎

EDIT: just to make sure I wasn't going nuts, I again tried one of the strings that I'd previously tried and the wavy sound returned. It must be the nut not liking strings that are too light.

Anyway, new set is on now and all is well 😊

Edited by Deedee