Why become a member? ×

Tecamp Puma cutting out

tauzero

I have a Tecamp Puma 900, bought second-hand off BC late last year. I've used it with an 8 ohm 1x12 cab and a 4 ohm 4x10 (not simultaneously). I've had no issues at all with the 8 ohm cab. However, using the 4 ohm (not at particularly high volumes), I've had the power amp cut out several times after about 40 minutes of playing. The most recent occasion was Saturday night, and as I was also DIed to the PA from the DI socket on the Tecamp, I was able to determine that it was only the power amp cutting out, the preamp up to the DI was working OK. That also eliminates the possibility of it being an input lead at fault.

Ambient temperature isn't a factor - this has happened in a rather hot pub and also on an outdoor gig when there was snow on the ground.

I use the same speaker lead (speakon-speakon) with both cabs.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of cut-out on the power amp section of Tecamps? If there is, does this behaviour seem a bit over-protective? And if there isn't, what's the likely cause? Dry joint?

I have emailed this question to Tecamp too, I'm hoping that the language barrier won't be too much of a problem.

I've heard back from Tecamp. Apparently some (nominally) 4 ohm cabs can be a little too low impedance and the power amp gets too warm and cuts out (though the case doesn't get all that hot), and there's a mod that Tecamp themselves do to add a fan by the ventilation slot (just glue it in with a silicone glue and solder up to a 12V supply from somewhere). They're supposed to be invoicing me and sending me a fan but I haven't heard from them yet. They sent me a photo from which I can make out that the fan is a Sunon MagLev 40x40x40mm fan, so it's probably a HA40201V4-0000-999, and they put a resistor in series with that, the value of which I don't know. If you're playing into an 8 ohm load, there's no need to worry.