Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New 12" speaker required - recommendations

mep

I have a pair of custom made cabs and the top one needs a new 12" speaker.

I'm looking for an 8 Ohm speaker at a reasonabke price that will fit into my sealed cab of 49 Litres (1.7 cubic feet). I have had a bit of a trawl on-line but finding a suitable one for my cab is not easy and options are limited.

Some possible options are:

Celestion BN12-300S 8 Ohm Orange Label. Don't know if it will suit my cab. Also heard it's not that good either?
Eminence Basslite S2012. Don't know if it will suit my cab.
Beyma SM212. Don't know if it will suit my cab.

here must be some others out the. Any recommendations please.

Edited by mep

Yeah. More info for you all.

Cab is sealed, as stated.

minimum power handling to be minium 100w but most start at 200w so that's ok. I already have a 15" cab with a 600w celestion driver to keep me going so this topp cab is to enhance what that is doing.

I like to get a punchy low mids sound going.

There's a slight difference of opinion here about mixing drivers. It's certainly an added complication but not necessarily a complete no-no. In any case you need to think about matching it to your 15, do you know what that is?

the Beyma is a personal favourite of mine and will work in your cab. It is slightly unusual though in that it has a pretty flat frequency response compared with most bass speakers and a more extended top end than some. Useful as in this area it won't be competing with the 15 but if the old 12 had the usual mid peak you may miss it by using the Beyma.

Because the cab is sealed it will work with a range of speakers including cheaper ones, equally if you want to spend a bit more you might have the option of just using the 12 at some gigs. I had no difficulty in keeping up with the drums using a single SM212 for example.

What is important to you? Just getting the old cab back into use, keeping your old sound or looking for improvement? Getting as good as you can or saving money? what sound are you looking for?