Why become a member? ×

Skunk stripe on the back of rosewood-board Fenders & Squiers?

SJA

(opportunity for skunk jokes ahoy)

on old Fenders they used the walnut "skunk-stripe" on one-piece maple necks, to cover the channel routed for the trussrod, while the rosewood-board ones didn't need one, as the trussrod went in from the front, and the fingerboard covered the rout,

however, since the 80's and 90's, Fender standards with rosewood boards have the skunk-stripe too.

(although the graphite reinforced US standards and deluxes don't, as they need routs from the front for the graphite rods, so the fingerboard (rosewood or maple) covers those and the trussrod)

why is this? is it just to cut costs/simplify the production line having the trussrod routed from the back of the neck on both the maple and rosewood models?

Great example of how little I pay attention to my guitar stuff (and generally Fender in general :) ) – I didn’t even notice this on the back of my MIM Tele and I’ve had it 4 years!!

[attachment=9430:DSC01312.JPG]

It’s a great guitar though and the neck feels really nice. This is a bit off topic but I actually prefer Fender guitars then basses…weird?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='215020' date='Jun 8 2008, 06:27 PM']Judas :)[/quote]

Who? Me? Never :huh:

I am partial to a nice Jazz bass and I’ve seen a few P’s that I love the look of but I’ve never played a P that felt nice.

I expect it's a cost cutting thing.

However, it IS interesting that there is no maple boards available for the MIM standards, so it's a bit strange as there is no need, but it could be cheaper to do it from the back.

Might have to ask Fender this one.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='215012' date='Jun 8 2008, 06:11 PM']This is a bit off topic but I actually prefer Fender guitars then basses…weird?[/quote]

Strats are awesome, along with telecasters too!

I was going to post this yesterday but i wasn,t too sure about wether I was right or not but ahh here goes..
I think the reason the 'skunk stripe' is there is because some of the rosewood boards are much thinner than some of the boards known as 'slab' boards that are more of a slab than a veneer so the truss rods are fitted thru the back as a veneer board would not cover the routed channel of the truss rod.
does this make sense.
I,ve been in the pub all day!!