Why become a member? ×

Lessons?

Anyone know of a teacher that can go through the basics with me, I am based in Stafford but I am willing to travel around the midlands a bit. I'm not looking for a weekly lesson just a couple of hours maybe once a month or so to point me in the right direction. I was hoping for Doddy to do it as he has given me lessons on elec bass but he is away on the cruise ships again.

Any ideas? ta :)

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1372789381' post='2130062']
Contact tutors of the Royal northern college or birmingham conservatory!
Liverpool Phil etc..
[/quote]
Would they teach a Plonker like me? I know the foundation for techniques are the same but I'm probably better off with a jazzer or blues player I guess?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372797080' post='2130203']
Would they teach a Plonker like me? I know the foundation for techniques are the same but I'm probably better off with a jazzer or blues player I guess?
[/quote]

I'll get killed for this, but I would say go for someone who actively plays jazz . If they have a classical background all to the good, but don't let them bog you down in bowing Simandl or you'll lose the will to live.

/ puts tin hat on /

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1372850907' post='2130615'] I'll get killed for this, but I would say go for someone who actively plays jazz . If they have a classical background all to the good, but don't let them bog you down in bowing Simandl or you'll lose the will to live. / puts tin hat on / [/quote]
I'll take you on with my tongue firmly in my cheek.... :)
Any good DB teacher will present classical technical facility as a joy to learn and as a really seriously good background to act as a platform for any style you may choose.
My classical training is limited, I mostly teach people jazz stuff on bass, if they want to go further with classical I say find an orchestral player/teacher, but ask any student of mine, I'm a stickler for technique and doing it right, all of which comes from classical tradition, mainly because poor technique is so limiting musically and leaves you prone to injury.
Where bowing is concerned, it will give you the best intonation 'nuff said.
I basically agree that you want a teacher that can show you things you're interested in, but when taking up DB I think it's worth understanding that what you're getting into first is the instrument... what you can do with it comes a little way along the line.
Pete, I have a mate in Stone who I visit from time to time, if you'd like me to let you know when I'm in the area (usually 2 or 3 times a year) I'd be happy to give you one offs.
I get good feedback for my lessons, (I'm a bass nerd) so feel free to PM [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6270-jakesbass-jakesbass-and-thrice-jakesbass/"]http://basschat.co.u...rice-jakesbass/[/url]
Also Doddy is in your area, I think he plays upright, failing that there are a few guys in Manchester and I'm sure the same is true of Birmingham.

edit... ah just re read your OP re Doddy...

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Jake, thanks for being gentle with me. :D

I think a lot has to do with age and stage. Nobody would say bowing isn't a great thing to do, but if you're not young, you already play bass and you need to get gigging fast without hurting yourself, I suggest there are various roads you can take and the bow could wait for a while.

My own experience was that in year one the bow put way too much of a burden on far too quickly, and let's face it Simandl would make anyone quit. A jazz orientated teacher might help to balance things out with you in terms of where the effort goes at different stages.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1372856802' post='2130741']
Jake, thanks for being gentle with me. :D[/quote]
YW :lol:
[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1372856802' post='2130741']
I think a lot has to do with age and stage. Nobody would say bowing isn't a great thing to do, but if you're not young, you already play bass and you need to get gigging fast without hurting yourself, I suggest there are various roads you can take and the bow could wait for a while.

My own experience was that in year one the bow put way too much of a burden on far too quickly, and let's face it Simandl would make anyone quit. A jazz orientated teacher might help to balance things out with you in terms of where the effort goes at different stages.
[/quote]
I think your reasoning is quite sound, my points are really additional rather than contrary B)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1372850907' post='2130615']
I'll get killed for this, but I would say go for someone who actively plays jazz . If they have a classical background all to the good, but don't let them bog you down in bowing Simandl or you'll lose the will to live.

/ puts tin hat on /
[/quote]

Ok i have no background in music whatsoever but as it was explained to me if they teach only one style and are not open to other styles ...avoid.
Although i want to start getting into Jazz or Blues im finding learning classical is providing me with a good base (no pun) to start from .

I still get out simandl when i feel i need to strengthen up a certain position for piece im playing. Most teachers i've found even if classically orientated also do other stuff for fun or as side earners, like doing jazz gigs etc.

I'd recommend getting lessons of a classical guy just for technique. Look at guys like John Patitucci and Christian Mcbride who have a really strong technique that is most likely founded from classical lessons.

Next you know you'll be taking your next solo with the bow.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1372853662' post='2130684']
I'll take you on with my tongue firmly in my cheek.... :)
Any good DB teacher will present classical technical facility as a joy to learn and as a really seriously good background to act as a platform for any style you may choose.
My classical training is limited, I mostly teach people jazz stuff on bass, if they want to go further with classical I say find an orchestral player/teacher, but ask any student of mine, I'm a stickler for technique and doing it right, all of which comes from classical tradition, mainly because poor technique is so limiting musically and leaves you prone to injury.
Where bowing is concerned, it will give you the best intonation 'nuff said.
I basically agree that you want a teacher that can show you things you're interested in, but when taking up DB I think it's worth understanding that what you're getting into first is the instrument... what you can do with it comes a little way along the line.
Pete, I have a mate in Stone who I visit from time to time, if you'd like me to let you know when I'm in the area (usually 2 or 3 times a year) I'd be happy to give you one offs.
I get good feedback for my lessons, (I'm a bass nerd) so feel free to PM [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6270-jakesbass-jakesbass-and-thrice-jakesbass/"]http://basschat.co.u...rice-jakesbass/[/url]
Also Doddy is in your area, I think he plays upright, failing that there are a few guys in Manchester and I'm sure the same is true of Birmingham.

edit... ah just re read your OP re Doddy...
[/quote]

Yeah shame about Doddy, cheek of him going and getting a regular paying gig instead of giving me a lesson once a month :D
Drop me a pm next time you are coming up this way mate as I would love an hour or two off you, I am not far from Stone at all.