Why become a member? ×

Recording advice for a noob!

stuartielow

It seems the way in which music is recorded has changed a lot in my time away! Could anyone recommend a starter USB interface for recording my bass onto my notebook? Its an active, not sure if that's relevant. Also is there anything else I'd need? ie software etc. I've always just played live so its all new to me this malarky and need it put into Lehmanns terms! Thanks Stu.

What sort of results are you looking for? Rough demo, release quality, somewhere in between?

What are you looking to record? Solo stuff, whole band in one take or a whole band but each with their own tracks?

The above will narrow down what you need hardware wise.

What flavour of laptop have you got? Most Apple stuff comes with Garageband, which is a great little sequencer/audio recording program. Reaper gets a lot of love around basschat. Arguably, Protools is the industry standard. Reason (my personal favourite) is a bit different.

Thanks for responding :) I'm just looking to record some solo stuff, I'd like to listen to myself retrospectively, I also forget stuff I come up with all the time. So just a rough demo I suppose. I have a Samsung lappy. I was out the game for a long time but have just joined a function band with a brass section, I can hardly hear myself a lot of the time! Thanks again!

[quote name='stuartielow' timestamp='1371759706' post='2117910']
Thanks for responding :) I'm just looking to record some solo stuff, I'd like to listen to myself retrospectively, I also forget stuff I come up with all the time. So just a rough demo I suppose. I have a Samsung lappy. I was out the game for a long time but have just joined a function band with a brass section, I can hardly hear myself a lot of the time! Thanks again!
[/quote]

Could be another question you're asking us here.
I would recommend a combo /amp around 250 watts if playing in pubs;)

[quote name='stuartielow' timestamp='1371759706' post='2117910']
[/quote]

Lots of good advice already. I was the same as you up to 8-months ago (used ADAT/CD before etc).. but loving the whole hard-disk / laptop thing now! :) I can recommend Reaper v4 which is an excellent DAW - *free trial* whilst you get going. My experience of using USB interfaces is the headphone amps are poor, so my advice is hook up a hi-fi amp or invest in a small power amp? / decent headphones. A word of caution - once you get into it, you won't stop!! Have fun.. :D

Edited by SimonEdward