Why become a member? ×

J retro preamp

Geek99

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371738265' post='2117570']
I fitted one of these to an Alleva Coppolo recently but I'm really struggling to tame the low end in active mode. I know the bass is boost only but even turned all the way off there seems to be too much bass for me :(
[/quote]

? eh? They are cut and boost. Are you sure you are turning the right knob?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1371893302' post='2119173']

? eh? They are cut and boost. Are you sure you are turning the right knob?
[/quote]

Treble and mids are boost and cut but bass is boost only (+15db at 50hz).

There's a built-in contour when you switch in the active circuit but I'm not sure exactly what it's doing.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371895262' post='2119221']

There's a built-in contour when you switch in the active circuit but I'm not sure exactly what it's doing.
[/quote]

(A J-Retro for sure, as already pointed out)

The pre-shape contour is a very gently aprrox. 3dBs at the low and high end. It's probably the pre-shape that's not working for the Alleva bass. We do supply units with or without the pre-shape now BTW.

Nothing under the bonnet that can be adjusted apart from the pickup gains, a screwdriver adjustment for each pickup.

The pickups toggle by the vol/blend stack is there to allow pickup selection in passive mode - bridge or both pickups. In active it gives active blend or passive mix of both.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371895262' post='2119221']
[/quote]

oh, so it is!!! :o :blush: :P

I only used a J-Retro for two years! :lol: I should have known.
Mine is currently waiting to be installed on my CIJ Jazz, so I have not used it in a while. I never noticed it was boost only on the bass.

[quote name='John-E-Retro' timestamp='1371908202' post='2119433']
The pre-shape contour is a very gently aprrox. 3dBs at the low and high end. It's probably the pre-shape that's not working for the Alleva bass. We do supply units with or without the pre-shape now BTW.
[/quote]

That's good to know! I have to say I love the J-Retro, but that "colouration" I was not a big fan of.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1371931318' post='2119825']

oh, so it is!!! :o :blush: :P

I only used a J-Retro for two years! :lol: I should have known.
Mine is currently waiting to be installed on my CIJ Jazz, so I have not used it in a while. I never noticed it was boost only on the bass.
[/quote]

I've had two previous basses with J-Retro's in and didn't realise the bass was boost only either, lol.

Because it has a centre position marker I just assumed it was boost and cut. Always thought it was odd that I kept needing to cut bass frequencies, lol.

• 3 months later...

I'm curious about getting one of these at some point, as I seem to be playing my Jazz mostly DI'd at the moment. Are there any decent alternatives worth looking into?

Also, anyone got a picture of how far the knobs stick out in comparison to a standard Jazz?