Why become a member? ×

Sansamp bass di pedal and distortion

RockfordStone

so hear me out, trying to work out how to get the best sound here

i have both a sansamp bass driver di, and a distortion pedal.

i try to use the sansamp as a way of cleaning up and colouring my clean tone, and then the distortion for drive.

depending on the room, i can end up with a lot of feedback when i have them both on, obviously due to the a spike in gain.

do any other players use this sort of set up, if so, what tips do you have to keep the feedback to a minimum, short of tap dancing and changing between the two, which is hard enough but im the singer as well.

is it best to have lower level on the sansamp or the distortion?

The easy way to have a one stomp between the two is to have each pedal in the loop of a dual loop pedal, something like this ....

[url="http://www.brightonion.co.uk/dual-ab-looper/"]http://www.brightonion.co.uk/dual-ab-looper/[/url]

At least it's just one stomp to change between the two.

As to your feedback issues, sorry I can't help you much, but I would suggest trying not going over unity gain with either of your pedals, so no spikes in gain, just changes in tone.

I'm a little confused by the statement using the Bass Driver to "clean up" your clean tone? The Bass Driver is designed as a direct recording device and a tube amp emulated DI box. It can be used into an amp as well. If you're having feedback issues you can start by gain staging the Bass Driver for unity gain. This means that the pedal will be the same volume as running your bass into your amp without the pedal. The same goes for your distortion pedal. A little volume boost is OK but a large jump may result in feedback.

What distortion pedal are you using and what kind of sound are we talking - light OD or full on distortion? If for example, you're using an ODB-3 which is a feedback machine, try swapping it for an EHX Bass Muff Deluxe which has a built in gate (or getting a separate noise gate pedal). The gate will kill feedback when you're not playing anything - but if you're getting feedback whilst you're playing notes it won't help you there!

If the distortion pedal is really high gain, maybe get a noise suppressor.

I set my overdrive before my Sansamp and try not to have too much of a jump in volume from clean to distortion, although generally I have the distortion set slightly louder. Generally I have never had any problems and often I was using the Boss ODB3

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1371685716' post='2117089']
If the distortion pedal is really high gain, maybe get a noise suppressor.

I set my overdrive before my Sansamp and try not to have too much of a jump in volume from clean to distortion, although generally I have the distortion set slightly louder. Generally I have never had any problems and often I was using the Boss ODB3
[/quote]

using a pd7 phat hed, doesnt feed back normally, only when in the chain with the sansamp, so i may try putting it before the sansamp

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1371741223' post='2117619']
using a pd7 phat hed, doesnt feed back normally, only when in the chain with the sansamp, so i may try putting it before the sansamp
[/quote]

I would guess that the extra gain and push with the Sansamp is driving the pedal harder than it normally gets driven with just the bass by itself. Putting it before the Sansamp will probably solve the problem.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1371742474' post='2117635']
I would guess that the extra gain and push with the Sansamp is driving the pedal harder than it normally gets driven with just the bass by itself. Putting it before the Sansamp will probably solve the problem.
[/quote]

i will give it a try

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1371741223' post='2117619']
[/quote]

I used to use a pd7 as well but it didn't play nice with some of my other pedals either. Just kept feeding back regardless of what i tried. Thought I was just doing something wrong but maybe not. Let me know if you manage to resolve it.

Paul