Why become a member? ×

Effects Live: How do you do it?

PauBass

I was just wondering how you guys do with your effects when playing live and using a PA. Do you send a Balanced Pre or Post Eq signal to the desk?

If I'm not mistaking:

- When sending a Post EQ signal to the mixing board you are sending your particular tone/sound , the one you get with you amp settings, as well as effects pedals, and it will sound thorugh the PA.

- If you are sending a Pre EQ, then it's not affected at all, just your bass and the amp with no EQ.

So, I've heard quite a few times that it's always better to send a Pre EQ signal to the desk and I was wondering... what about all the effects we use?
I have spent my bucks through the years on a few pedals and I've got the tone I like and that's the one I want people to hear.

Here is my doubt right now:

I used to own an Ampeg SVT 4Pro and I had the option to choose between Pre and Post Eq but now, I'm using an SVT Classic and there's no effects loop.

Is this the way to do it then?

BASS> EFFECTS> AMP then Output to DESK

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='Moose' post='213370' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:48 PM']Why not just put the effects between your bass and amp. Then you can send a pre-eq signal to the desk that will include your effects.

Chris.[/quote]

Silly me, it's as easy as that... I don't know why I was all the time thinking about the effects loop. :)

Post Edited.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='213505' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:59 PM']ive never used an effects loop :wacko: is this a bad thing? I've always gone - Bass > many effects > amp > bleeding eardrums of unsuspecting band mates/crowd[/quote]

Pedals don't belong in an effects loop, so that's the right thing to do.

In smaller venues the only practical thing to do is use your on-stage rig to cover the whole room, but in bigger places you've got the additional headache of dealing with (often incompetent) resident sound guys to do the front-of-house mix. :) When you get a good one you remember and circle the venue's name in your organiser 100 times in red.

Im the same as Benwhiteuk here.
I have a GK 1001 thats got an FX send and return but when i tried it, the effects sound awfull and make hissing sounds all over the shop! (Im sure its not ment to do that) maybe some one could explain why this happened.

So iv ignored that the amps even got a patch bay and just keep it as BASS>EFFECTS>AMP>TROUSER FLAP. :)